iff

Live Music Plans?

Brief pre-Xmas flurry of trips to Brixton for me, first to see the current holders of the title of Greatest Band in the World, The National, for the second time this year. After the sweatbox of a venue I saw them play in Brighton in July, climactic conditions currently look like they're going to be quite different!

The following week will be previous title holders Interpol and a bit of '80s nostalgia seeing Echo and the Bunnymen.

Further ahead: the return to live action of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Kristin Hersh playing songs and promoting her autobiography, the return of White Lies, more nostalgia watching The Chameleons and one of my tips for the top, goth revivalists Esben and the Witch. I'm trying to persuade mates as to the genius of Chapel Club so someone will come and see them with me, but no-one's bitten yet.

Brief pre-Xmas flurry of trips to Brixton for me, first to see the current holders of the title of Greatest Band in the World, The National, for the second time this year. After the sweatbox of a venue I saw them play in Brighton in July, climactic conditions currently look like they're going to be quite different!
It was freezing cold last night, much like the welcome the security staff give visitors to the Brixton Academy, but worth the trip.

The band did something I'd never seen a band do before last night. The very last song of the encore, a quiet acoustic number which closes current album "High Violet" was played completely unplugged - no amplification at all, not even microphones. It is a measure of most fans' devotion to this wonderful band that the audience (a) shut up and (B) knew the lyrics to this less than prominent corner of the band's catalogue.

The band did something I'd never seen a band do before last night. The very last song of the encore, a quiet acoustic number which closes current album "High Violet" was played completely unplugged - no amplification at all, not even microphones.
I've seen Rufus Wainwright sing unamplified to a large concert hall but his audiences are always extremely reverential. I think it's probably the same 2000 people at each gig. Fantastic thing for a band to do though.

I'm hoping to see Vampire Weekend and Janelle Monae at Alexandra Palace tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get there after work given the travel chaos seen today. :(

Didn't make it unfortunately. Thank you Southern trains.

This follows from the last gig I went to (Manic Street Preachers, Brixton Academy) which was cancelled due to the singer losing his voice. I'm not having much luck. :(:(

Both Laibach and Belle & Sebastian later this month. Not the same night as that would be...weird.

B&S were superb on friday night :)

I shall be heading up to Kentish Town tonight to see Curved Air, Wishbone Ash and one of my favourite 70s bands, Argent. Always rated their In Deep album from 1973.

just to revive this thread:

on may 3rd, i have john grant, on may 7th, British sea power (3rd time i will be seeing them). in the middle of july, i'm going to the sunday of longitude (the irish equivalent of latitude) with kraftwerk, yeah yeah yeahs and hot chip playing on that day and in november, i also have tickets for sigur ros.

After the event but...

Went to The Garage on Wednesday night at Holloway Road, to see the 1st night of Kscope's 5th birthday concert. (To give a bit of context, Kscope are home of Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree and are the UK's leading modern prog label.)

All 4 bands were excellent.

This little report will mean nothing to most / everyone but I was impressed with Henry Fool, much louder than the album, really rocked out, especially the saxophonist who was great (Myke Clifford?).

Then Nosound, love that guy, cool as all hell and plays a mean guitar. 

Followed by Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief) with Jonas Renkse (Katatonia). Good singer (if a tad one paced) and boy can Soord rock out. 

Then Amplifier, 4 guitars and a drummer who beats every inch of crap out of his kit. Tremendous. 

Loved the venue, small, intimate and loud, VERY LOUD.

4 hours standing, preceded by an hour or more standing in the pub meant I was feeling it a bit by the end of the night but it was well worth it.

Edited by Royal Rother

I saw Goldfrapp at Somerset House last Saturday - absolutely amazing gig.  Good mix of teasers from the forthcoming album and all the old favourites.  The light show was stunning.  Loved it.

Royal Rother, I nearly went to the garage on Wednesday as I am a big fan of Amplifier. Unfortunately I didn't finish work until quite late, so went straight home. Sounds. Like I missed a good night.

I saw Goldfrapp at Somerset House last Saturday - absolutely amazing gig.  Good mix of teasers from the forthcoming album and all the old favourites.  The light show was stunning.  Loved it.

nice. i am a fan of goldfrapps.

2 further gigs to go to in october for me.

alessi's ark are playing the venue in dundalk (15km from me). it is nicely convenient. she ticked boxes for me - 1) on bella union label and 2) worked with mike mogis so i checked out her music on youtube and liked it so that is why i am going. dundalk is close by so it isn't a hassle to get to.

also at the end of october, i am going to see Efterklang.

I am living vicariously through my daughter who this weekend is attending Lollapalooza in Chicago with her boyfriend.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/aug/02/lollapalooza-music-festival-uk-chicago

The murder rate in Chicago is unbelievably high--no one really knows what is going on and has been going on for several years--but I don't think that it has really affected the area where she's going to be, so I've decided to just not worry about it.

Just been bought a ticket to see the Australian Pink Floyd on March 6th at Bournemouth.

They are the biggest of all the Floyd tribute bands and apparently absolutely spot on. Close your eyes and.....

I'm also intending to book tickets to see The Waterboys in December at Guildford.

RR I'm going to see them in Carlisle, I've seen them couple of times before and yes they are excellent. The British Pink Floyd is also worth seeing.

Next gig for me is Deacon Blue Sept 8th.

Tomorrow Mr bp and I are going to a concert called Bright Phoebus Revisited. Well, I couldn't really miss it, being my moniker and all. Mike and Lal Waterson wrote the songs which are English through and through, though not classically folk or any other genre you could name. They are simply wonderful. The album got sold to someone horrible who has since refused to re-release it. Mike and Lal are not not alive any more, but their sister Norma is, and husband Martin Carthy, and daughters and sons all of whom will be there tomorrow.

Jarvis Cocker, Richard Hawley and loads of others will be joining them. I can't wait. 

Tomorrow Mr bp and I are going to a concert called Bright Phoebus Revisited.

4_6_217v.gif

Heard Eliza Carthy and Marry Waterson talking about this on Womans Hour last week. They sang a song called Some Old Salty - not one I knew, but I think originally sung by Lal Waterson with Oliver Knight - it has wonderful harmonies.

4_6_217v.gif

Heard Eliza Carthy and Marry Waterson talking about this on Womans Hour last week. They sang a song called Some Old Salty - not one I knew, but I think originally sung by Lal Waterson with Oliver Knight - it has wonderful harmonies.

The Waterson harmonies make you just melt.

I did some work on a new live music restaurant here in Dallas and am being rewarded with tickets to the opening night, featuring a concert by a country music artist, Pat Green, who has invested in the restaurant.  I'm not a big fan of country music, so I hadn't heard of him, but my daughter had (she's jealous!) and recommended some songs for me to listen to.  So that's what I've been doing all day.  They are actually enjoyable to listen to, although I don't think I will ever really convert to being a country music fan.  

These appear to be the hottest ticket in town, so that I have a line of people asking to go with me if my husband doesn't make it back from his business trip to Houston on time (he's in the air, so I think their hopes are destined to be dashed).  We rarely do things like this, so it's quite an adventure.  My biggest stress, so far, is that I don't own a pair of cowboy boots.  I'm sure everyone else there will be wearing them (heck, people wear them with suits here, which I think looks odd, but is pretty common).  

Yes, that's him.  I think his most famous song is "Wave on Wave," which I did like.  Green puts on a good show and the place was packed.  The food was VERY good (especially the brisket tacos) and I had a very tasty "pecan porter" plus a taste of a craft beer called "The Velvet Hammer."

We had a good time, although I stayed up way past my bedtime and am very tired today. 

I watched the video and liked the music - don't often listen to Country although this sounded more ballad-like than out and out country.  Could hear the words not like a lot of the frenzied music today.  I've made a note of his name, wouldn't mind hearing some more of him.  :)