Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

How To Lose Friends And Alienate People

I have seen some rave reviews of this book, as well as several positive comments on BGO (although no-one has started a thread on it, I now discover!). Contrary to everyone else, I didn't find it hilarious, but neither did I find Mr Young to be as obnoxious as he is often portrayed... maybe there's a message for me there! At best I found the book to be mildly amusing, at worst it was slightly boring. I skipped a couple of pages early on, and the occasional paragraph towards the end. Some of Young's observations on the differences between British and American culture / society / business were actually quite interesting, and his references to his parents were made with touching affection.

I will add the DVD to my LoveFilm list in due course.

I finished this just before Xmas and just hadn't gotten round to posting my thoughts, so thanks for the prompt MFJ. I agree entirely with you - I didn't find Toby's incidents at all "outrageous!!", nor that funny. I certainly didn't empathise with him either - I thought he was just as shallow and moronic as all of those around him. Maybe we just need to understand the environment at Vanity Fair better - but I just didn't see what was so hugely wrong in hiring a stripper for a joke - aren't silly/daft things done in every office across the world?

I admit I smiled occasionally - but very occasionally, and I actually found him to be a rather dull but irritating person, and likewise for his memoir.