Sign in to follow this  
My Friend Jack

The Complete New Zealand Music Charts 1966 - 2006

Not the easiest book to get hold of, but a bit of internet searching led me to the author's own website, where I was able to order and pay via PayPal.

The layout is a variation of that which has been used by chart statistic books for several decades. Artists are listed in alphabetical order, and then their chart successes are listed under singles, albums and DVDs. There are loads of other tables - biggest hits per year, number ones (an obvious list, but it's not in the latest British book!), etc etc. Home grown (NZ) chart-toppers are highlighted (Hey Baby by the La De Das being the first, in 1967), although the Gremlins' Coming Generation was the second biggest hit of 1966 despite only making #2 on the weekly charts.

A worthy addition to my collection, although probably of little interest to the rest of the BGO community!

One of my recently discovered favourites Dave Dobbyn should feature with his solo career and with his band Th'Dudes.

The reference to Dave Dobbyn mentions that he was in 2 groups, (i) DD Smash (6 hit singles, 3 hit albums between 1981 and 1985), biggest single being Outlook For Thursday, #3 in 1983 and (ii) Th'Dudes, but the latter don't seem to have charted (I've looked under T and D). As a solo artist, though, Dobbyn managed 13 hit singles and 9 hit albums between 1986 and 2005, his biggest hit single being Slice of Heaven, which topped the NZ singles chart for 8 weeks in 1986. That song, along with the follow-up (You Oghta Be In Love, #2 for 2 weeks) camne from the soundtrack of a movie called Footrot Flats: A Dog's Tale.

Sounds random, and I have to say it's not a type of book I've ever bought before. But I do have an odd obsession with NZ, and am interested in modern NZ music at the least. Would you think it's something that would interest me, or would I have to have a knowledge of the musicians included?

Difficult to say, helenoftroy - ultimately, it's just a list of hit records. A heck of a lot were British and American, but there were always Australian and NZ artists selling well.

Take a look at http://www.abbamail.com/nzchart_book.htm to find out a bit more. There is a low resolution sample page to give you an idea of the layout, and you can order from there (which is where I got my copy from).