Sign in to follow this  
Barblue

The Tales Of Beedle The Bard

I have just received an email from Amazone informing me that I can buy a copy of this book from 4th December. I can choose between a Standard edition at £6.99 (£3.99 if I order now) or a Collector's Edition for £50 - there dosen't seem to be a reduction on this one. I know which one I would love to have, but I also know which one I will actually buy!

I knew Amazon had purchased the copy that was auctioned, but didn't realise they were going to be allowed to reproduce it and sell it in this way - but I am pleased that they are. It says all the NET proceeds of the sales will go to J.K. Rowling's Children's Charit, which is good.

Roll on 4th December!

I think Waterstones are selling the standard edition (the £6.99 one). The collectors edition will be available exclusively from Amazon.

didn't realise they were going to be allowed to reproduce it and sell it in this way - but I am pleased that they are. It says all the NET proceeds of the sales will go to J.K. Rowling's Children's Charity, which is good.

Originally they weren't going to be published - I think that may have been part of the deal of selling it. But it seems that some deal must have been agreed! According to the Bloomsbury press release:

J K Rowling’s children’s charity to publish The Tales of Beedle the Bard on December 4, 2008

** Exclusive deal with Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon will generate millions of pounds to help de-institutionalise vulnerable children **

In celebration of Harry Potter’s birthday today, the Children’s High Level Group (CHLG), the English charity co-founded by J K Rowling and Emma Nicholson MEP to help children suffering in institutions, announces that it is to publish The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Fans around the world have been clamouring to read the wizarding fairy tales – created, handwritten and illustrated by J K Rowling – since last December, when Amazon famously bid £1.95 million / $4 million for the charity copy, one of only seven in existence, at Sotheby’s in London.

The Children’s High Level Group will publish three editions of the book, all in the English language, to be printed and distributed by Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon. The Bloomsbury and Scholastic editions (£6.99 / $12.99) will feature additional commentary on each fairy tale from Professor Dumbledore and an introduction by J K Rowling. Amazon will produce up to a maximum of 100,000 Collector’s Edition copies (£50 / $100), which will aim to closely replicate the look and feel of the original ‘Beedle’. All editions will go on sale on Thursday 4 December 2008.

All net proceeds from the sale of the books – expected to be in the region of £4 million / $8 million – will be donated to CHLG. The charity works to make life better for vulnerable children across Europe, where over a million children and teenagers are growing up in unacceptable conditions in large residential institutions. In most cases they are without adequate human or emotional contact and stimulation, while many only just survive without life’s basics such as adequate shelter and food.

Emma Nicholson says: “We are so thrilled to be publishing such an exclusive and special book. This unique project will raise vital funds for the work of CHLG, to help us change the lives of hundreds of thousands of marginalised and institutionalised children who are living in appalling conditions, and make sure that no future generation suffers in this way.”

J K Rowling says: “There was understandable disappointment among Harry Potter fans when only one copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard was offered to the public last December. I am therefore delighted to announce that, thanks to the generous support of Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon (who bought the handwritten copy at auction) – and with the blessing of the wonderful people who own the other six original books - The Tales of Beedle the Bard will now be widely available to all Harry Potter fans. Royalties will be donated to the Children’s High Level Group, to benefit institutionalised children in desperate need of a voice. The new edition will include the Tales themselves, translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger, and with illustrations by me, but also notes by Professor Albus Dumbledore, which appear by generous permission of the Hogwarts Headmasters’ Archive.”

Containing clues that were to prove crucial to Harry Potter’s final mission to destroy Lord Voldemort’s Horcruxes, The Tales of Beedle the Bard is the volume of five wizarding fairy tales left to Hermione Granger by Albus Dumbledore in the seventh and final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Only one – The Tale of the Three Brothers – is recounted in the book. In The Tales of Beedle the Bard, the four remaining stories are revealed for the very first time.

Like you, Barblue, I very much desire the Collectors edition, but unless I win the lottery tonight it isn't going to happen!

So has anyone got it?

There are currently 26 reviews on Amazon - 25 of which have given this 5*s and one just 4!

I'm hoping that I might get the collectors one for Xmas, so please if you've seen it, let me know if it's worth it.

(PS - This is the thread for discussing the content - and experience- of the book. If you want to talk about the idea of it, there is also a thread in the Central Library)

I'm hoping that I might get the collectors one for Xmas,

I did get it, and it's gorgeous. The metalwork on the cover really is quite impressive that they went to the trouble to make it over 100,000 times (which I understand is the number of collectors editions produced).

I don't know that I dare read it though - think I might request the other version from the library to actually experience the text!!!

I got the normal edition, which is pretty in itself.

I've read a couple of the stories so far, I have another 2 to go. I've found the strories interesting and good little fairytales for older children. I'm not sure that Dumbledore's comments are having a huge affect. At the moment this certainly wouldn't get 5 stars a the moment.

I will come back when I have finished.

I got the collectors edition for Christmas too. Here is my Pleo, Flash, helping me unwrap it... I can't put all the images in one post, so I will split into two posts.

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

It is beautiful, and the stories are good too. Not as great as the main HP books, but nice reads nontheless. :D

Well, I borrowed the "normal" edition from work to read, and have now read all 5 stories and their commentaries.

I thought the first 3 stories were by far the best, with a real sense of moral, and fairy-tale feel to them. The other 2 stories were a real let down (particularly "The Warlock's Hairy Heart") - with the morals only becoming clear on reading "Dumbledore's" sections. I felt in a way that they had been put there to fill the book, and to over-explain a point that JKR had made in the Harry Potter books.

On story content and my enjoyment I've given the book 3 stars on my reading list. This would be upped to about 6 if I was purely judging the Collector's Edition on it's presentation!

I thought the first 3 stories were by far the best, with a real sense of moral, and fairy-tale feel to them. The other 2 stories were a real let down (particularly "The Warlock's Hairy Heart") - with the morals only becoming clear on reading "Dumbledore's" sections. I felt in a way that they had been put there to fill the book, and to over-explain a point that JKR had made in the Harry Potter books.

I thought that The Warlock's Hairy Heart' was one of the best stories. I also gave it 3 stars as it didn't overly thrill me