Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Flush

I read this about three months ago, but wasn't quite sure what to write about it.

Flush was Elizabeth Barrett Browning's aristocratic pet cocker spaniel. In his biography, Virginia Woolf follows Flush's career from his birth in Berkshire and early years with the invalid, Miss Barrett, through to his kidnapping by London vagabonds and his dotage in Italy.

I found it more readable than anything else I've read by VW, but not particularly interesting.

Maybe (probably) because this is basically the familiar story of the relationship between Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning through the eyes of a third party, in this case her dog.

It is a story I already knew, and thought it was told in a more interesting way by Margaret Forster in Lady's Maid - or in the musical Robert and Elizabeth

It certainly didn't answer the question that has plagued me for the past 40 years - Why was the darned dog called 'Flush'?!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By momac
      Edit: this OP was originallya post in the Central Library discussion thread on  What Makes a Great Writer 'Great" before the Group Read on Orlando started

Thanks for your insights people, your posts make a lot of sense.  All something to think about.  It will be interesting to see the discussion on Orlando.  He (she) is certainly larger than life and maybe there is a bit of 'tongue in cheek' going on among all the colourful and fantastical descriptions.  

• By Momo
      Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf - 1925
      This book shows how much women had achieved since Jane Austen's days - and how much they hadn't. It's about halfway between Ms. Auten's lifetime and today and if you consider how slow women's rights progressed, you can guess how long it is still going to take until women and men are going to be equal, have the same chances, if ever!(thread first started 27.04.06)
    • By mac
      I`ve just finished reading this book and I am trying to decide if I liked it or not. I did`nt find it an easy read and had to re-read quite a bit. The story, at first, moves forward very slowly, revolving around one day of a holiday on Skye. The first part was particularly hard going, I did think about not finishing it, but by the middle of the book I was becoming interested in the characters and read it with more enjoyment.