Sign in to follow this  
Calliope

2009 New Year's Resolutions?

I have decided to have a fantastic year. To take my career more seriously and make some proper progress and to really get my personal affairs in order. This time next year I am going to be more successful and a lot happier.

Was wondering if anyone else has made some decisions?

To try to combat my depression better

To be more organised, more tidy etc

To be a better dad

To get back to playing football

To keep a log of all the books I read throughout the year

To stop disappearing from this forum for weeks at a time!

To stop disappearing from this forum for weeks at a time!

I'll hold you to that one!

One reading related one I've broken for the past few years, and will try not to again next year, is to read some Dickens.

To hang onto job, as far as possible, and home in this depressed economy

To slow down a little and stop panicking about things I can't control

To take up the guitar again in earnest

To do everything I can to ensure that this next play I'm directing is a success

To look at how I spend my time, make some priorities and try to spend a little more time at home and with my family.

(I seem to have had a particularly busy year in '08 and as such, I haven't seen my dad since 27th Dec 2007, one set of my grandparents since before Christmas '07, and I seem to spend most of my time out or asleep. I realise at the age of 27 I'm very lucky to still have 3 of my 4 grandparents with me - especially as my parents were in their 30s when I was born. I want to make the most of them while I can.)

Read more and dispose of more, and get through all those 400+ page books that I buy and then, when it comes to reading them, I pass over in favour of some dinky volume.

Buy less, although I can forecast this will probably be broken in a fit of boredom on New Year's Day, on a one click trip to Amazon.

Read a 'classic' or two.

Read Graham Greene, finally.

To start reading again, apart from the cement garden while I was away for the weekend last month I haven't read a novel for ages :( . Need to make a determined effort to set some time aside as my TBR pile is not shrinking.

To move house into one more suited to my needs. That's been on the list for a few years, I was within a whisker of achieving it earlier this year when my buyer pulled out.

To start swimming in the mornings again. Not sure how I can achieve that though as I'm leaving for work at 7.20am at the moment.

To not spend everything I earn on bits of Hillman Imp and instead to overpay the mortgage while it is so cheap.

To try and meet someone.

To try and meet someone.

Awww, Mark, that's a good one, and I wish you all the best with that.

Aww some really nice resolutions there folks.

I'm gonna stop worrying whether people like me or not and I'm DEFINITLEY not going to miss out on getting my flu jab in '09

My last year's resolution was to read more history. I didn't read more history as such, but I did read a few more Historical novels than average, so I only partially fulfilled that one. However, because of my newfound love of coffee, I've spent a lot more time reading coffee-related material than fiction, so...

1. Read more fiction while still pursuing my coffee hobby (unless, of course, I buy an espresso machine, then all bets are off);

2. Finally get around to reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms (aka Three Kingdoms). After seeing Red Cliff I and looking forward to Red Cliff II, I'm now stoked to read the whole story--if only I can get over the horrible narrative.

Had this discussion with family over supper the other day. It set me thinking and I came up with a few.

Try and learn Latin

Take more exercise

Reorganise my books - they are in such a mess at the moment

Try to read more of my TBR pile (make this one every year and hardly dent it)

1152x864 or 1024x768.
:D

Not studying anymore means that I can pretty much read what I want now, and I plan to make a big dent in Mount TBR. With any luck. Also, I really need to be more aggressive, I am far too laid back for my own good.

English resolutions really aren't a patch on those from Glasgow.
3 and 1/2 hours David...visit your lawyer, make your will, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye....

3 and 1/2 hours David...visit your lawyer, make your will, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye....

You considerably over-estimate my flexibility, as well as the opening hours of English lawyers.

Nevertheless, a pint glass tied to a celebratory Hogmany rocket with the right trajectory and wind-speed calculations...

Yup - Glasgow to the south coast in 3 1/2 hours sounds reasonable. I must try to remember to duck.

To keep a log of all the books I read throughout the year

This is one of my new year's resolutions as well, I've made a start already :D

My other resolutions aren't very interesting, try to see my family more often, and continue making progress and improvements at work and at home. Stop biting my nails - but this is a resolution I make every year...