Sign in to follow this  
Royal Rother

Thread Titles

And anyway you can add a bit of colour if you feel like it.

<marquee>Never mind that, you can also have the text moving across the screen as welll!!!</marquee>

<marquee>Never mind that, you can also have the text moving across the screen as welll!!!</marquee>
Ooh bl**dy Nora that orange is absolutely ghastly, Adrian. I'm going to have to lie down... :)

PS looks like you can also have it moving at different speeds at the same time... Ooh we're going to have fun here...

PPS no no, it just looked like different speeds...

And anyway you can add a bit of colour if you feel like it.
I have been tempted once or twice to abuse my moderators' magic powers by altering the occasional 'personalised' text colour.:o

There are a number of websites that I have visited - once only, and never returned because I just can't read their text colour against the background.

It is possible that this is a ploy to deter those of us whose eyes are dimmed with age. :(

I find the colour combinaton used on BGO very comfortable - and wonder if it's soothing properties contribute to the civilised non-confrontational atmosphere generally prevailing here? ;)

I find the colour combinaton used on BGO very comfortable - and wonder if it's soothing properties contribute to the civilised non-confrontational atmosphere generally prevailing here? ;)
That's a very interesting thought Meg. I think you might have something there. All hail the status quo!

P.S. After jfp and Adrian's ideas I'm taking migraine tablets and lying down for a while. ;)

I'd hate us to start looking like a cheap imitation of an over-enthusiastic teenagers MySpace page!!

My MySpace profile page is BGO blue.

I'm sure I've seen message boards where the thread title being discussed appear in the post title field. Since hardly anyone appears to use the option to title their posts, is there an option for the thread title to be duplicated in this field?

I'm sure I've seen message boards where the thread title being discussed appear in the post title field. Since hardly anyone appears to use the option to title their posts, is there an option for the thread title to be duplicated in this field?

That may well be possible buuuut the same problem remains that if that's just an automatic duplication of the OP title by the system it still won't include the author's name without the duplication. It also won't solve the PSYLV problem.

I'm confused. I don't like the status quo or the alternative suggestion. But I am sure when I came on-line yesterday there was a thread in PSYLV that read 'Jim Crace - Being Dead'. To be honest I was delighted to read both author and title in one space - I found it totally informative. If it can happen once, why not always? :confused:
I edited that thread to put Jim Crace into the subtitle of the first post, because I liked the sound of the book and didn't know who the author was, so looked up Amazon. I edited the thread to save others the bother. I guess that's what we will have to do if people want to see the author.

MFJ and RR, I don't quite know if I should be (a) appalled that you find me attractive with my throat cut and mould growing on my face, or (B) immensely flattered. But I shall thank you both kindly regardless. A lady of my age takes the compliments as she finds them. Oddly, hubby also said he found me oddly attractive that night. Quickly adding, that he also found it incredibly disturbing that he did.

If I ever die, and come back a zombie, I shall be seeking you fine men out.

My comments to the last couple of suggestions:

Please, one thread per book not by author. Sometimes, I only have read one book by the author and want to carry on reading the others. But I would feel uncomfortable reading the thread because there might be spoilers.

Second, the moving sentence just freaks me out. Do you know when you look into a bright light and then close your eyes and still see the light, that's how I'm feeling today. I don't think it's the colour. I use colours sometimes to enhance a part of what I want to say so I don't have to use Caps (very bad - both bad manners and terrible to read).

David, have you drawn any conclusions? Made any royal decrees? Organised any bloodless coups?

As I noted before, it's not for me to decide anything - I just wanted to set up a discussion to try to resolve a problem that's been a bit of a bleeding sore for the site.

It's Bill's call and he sent me a PM at the weekend explaining that the recordings of his new show have left him with no time. He said he'd look at it carefully and reply to the thread at the end of the week.

And I would have none of this 'bloodless' nonsense. Velvet and pink revolutions are for wusses - my coups would be bloody and gory and I keep a little black book of those going up against the wall.

(Oh now will you look at that? I've gone and written 'Adrain'! Better rip that page out and start again...)

Thanks for that Dvaid.

I have been addressed as 'Adrain' a few times, but only in electronic form. I used to reply 'A drain on what?' but stopped when I had replies like 'resources' or 'fresh air'.

Now, back to your coup planning. Remember, you can trust me...

OK. I've been following this thread for a while but only now have time to think through my thoughts. To be honest, for the moment I'm going to stick to the status quo. There will be changes to the site, including an upgrade of vBulletin, but it won't be just yet. Please have patience.

As far as the main topic of this thread goes, I would suggest that for now we stick to the old method, which I agree has been flawed from the start. It would certainly help though if members put the author's name and title in the subtitle of the thread.

As David says, due to some strange quirk, this can only be done after someone replies, so either the original writer of the thread should do it or one or other of the moderating team.