Sign in to follow this  
Bill

SUBSCRIBERS' OFFER - The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber

The 6th title in The Canongate Read is The Fire Gospel, by Michel Faber, author of Crimson Petal and the White. This is a hardback, which is not published until November 6th, and is being offered exclusively to Book Group Online subscribers. Canongate Books are kindly giving away 10 copies to UK-based subscribers, so the first 10 subscribers to put their names down on this thread will be sent a copy.

If you are one of the lucky 10, please send a P M to canongatebooks (with your full name and address), and Andrea from Canongate will post you the book. Andrea will be following up this post by introducing the book herself, but you don't have to wait for her to do that to stake your claim.

If you are not yet a subscriber, you still have time to claim your free copy. Just go to the bottom of the front page and click on the link 'SUBSCRIBE OR DONATE TO BOOK GROUP ONLINE' and follow the simple instructions. It only costs £10 to subscribe to Book Group Online and be eligible for this and other offers in the near future. Given that this has an RRP of £12.99, you will have made your money back straight away. In doing so, you will have helped towards the continuation of this website.

This is quite a short book (208 pages), so it could jump straight to the top of your TBR piles without too much disruption.

Synopsis follows.

Theo Griepenkerl is a modest academic with an Olympian ego. When he visits a looted museum in Iraq, looking for treasures he can ship back to Canada, he finds nine papyrus scrolls that have lain hidden for two thousand years. Once translated from Aramaic, these prove to be a fifth Gospel, written by an eye-witness of Jesus Christ's last days. But when Theo decides to share this sensational discovery with the world, he fails to imagine the impact the new Gospel will have on Christians, Arabs, homicidal maniacs and Amazon customers.

Ooh me please, I absolutely loved 'The Crimson Petal and the White' and 'The Apple' so would like to read something else by Michel Faber. Also the books from Canongate that I have so far been lucky enough to get hold of have been very very good, especially The Gargoyle. Will pm now. :D

Thanks Bill, for introducing the book!

This is one clever novel. Michel takes on the publishing industry, religious fundamentalists and ancient myth in this book.

It's really hard to describe the book without giving the story away, but let's say that if you are expecting something like Crimson Petal, don't - Michel's strength is his versatility, and this book is testament to that.

There will be things about this book that could offend, but remember to look beyond the obvious!

I'll post review links in the discussion thread as we go along, but here is the link to the 'official' page in the meantime: http://www.themyths.co.uk/?p=23

Me Please. I have absolutely adored everything of Michel Faber's I have read. Would love to read another. Thanks Cannongate.

And me....please. Crimson Petal and the White being a fabulous book I'd be very interested in reading this one (if I'm allowed to take advantage of this offer as well as the previous ones?).

Me too...for the same reasons as above

so far I have been fortunate to receive the last 2 offers, so if there are more than 10 replies, I'll understand if I,m not successful this time

And I would like the seventh one. Thank you.
I've a nasty feeling that this is for UK residents only. I suggest you PM Andrea (cannongatebooks) and ask if she is allowed to post to The Netherlands.

I'd like a copy as well, please.

I'm not a fan of The Crimson Petal and The White though there were parts of it that I thought were good. So I will be interested to see if this is more to my taste.

Canongate Books are kindly giving away 10 copies to UK-based subscribers
I've a nasty feeling that this is for UK residents only.
It's quite explicit.

Originally Posted by Bill

Canongate Books are kindly giving away 10 copies to UK-based subscribers

It's quite explicit.
Sorry, still cannot find that post by Bill. Anyway, if I can't have a copy, then I can't have one.

There is a Dutch publisher who is publishing The Fire Gospel, but it's in Dutch.

However, I have checked with our export department, and we have an English language export edition that I can send to you, just this once. :)

Sorry, still cannot find that post by Bill. Anyway, if I can't have a copy, then I can't have one.

That makes 9. chuntzy was the last to send me a PM.

My copy arrived on Saturday and is on top of the TBR pile. A review in the Guardian at the weekend has whetted my appetite.

Thanks Canongate. Finished reading the book this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Do feel free to set up the discussion thread and start things off, chuntzy.