Sign in to follow this  
solace91z

Runaways Volume 1: Pride and Joy

Hot on the heels of my other Brian K. Vaughan read, a friend passed me volumes 1 - 3 of this series. Volume 1 introduces us to a group of teens whose parents are having a dinner party in one their houses. The group discover a secret passageway and accidentally stumble accross their parents in one of the rooms, wearing superhero style costumes. They then witness their parents murder a teenage girl. On the assumtion their parents are actually supervillians, the group decide to run away from their homes and alert the police. However, it soon transpires that their parents are part of something much bigger and more powerful than they first imagined.

Clearly aimed at the early to mid teen demographic (its suggested for readers of age 12+), Brian K. Vaughan transposes the daily woes that all teens endure into an interesting and occasionally funny story. My only gripe is that at times the dialect is a little too 'teenified' and cutesey for its own good. Of course given its target reader group the violence, sex and foul language are minimal. Also due to its manga style format it looks odd on the bookshelf next to my regular sized graphic novels :)

This will no doubt appeal to fans of Whedon's Buffy the vampire slayer (Whedon in fact took up writing duties for the later Runaways episodes) and if you're looking for a new spin on the superhero/villian story this might be for you.

I've had a look at this on Amazon, and it does look interesting, good premise, but I am a little concerned about the size of the novel and the art work, it looks too sleek and commercial. Hmmm. I'll have to have a think.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad I didn't part with any money for this.
Really? I thought your review was quite positive! Maybe on reflection eh?

it hasn't left me salivating for more, like The Walking Dead ... for instance.
Good to hear, I have that on the wishlist still.

I read this volume last night, and am still a little undecided whether I liked it enough to keep on with it. The premise, that the kids find out their parents are super-villains, was quite enjoyable and I enjoyed seeing how brutal and callous the parents could be to keep the kids schtum about their secret identities. However, the artwork, led by the demographic for this series, is a little clean, bright and not nearly dark enough to sate me.

I do have the second volume which I will read, then decide if I should continue. As an aside, I managed to get the standard TPB edition and not the Manga sized book, so I didn't get annoyed about it - but I notice if I keep in with the series, after volume 5 or 6, I won't be able to get the standard TPB size.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By solace91z
      I've not read any of Vaughan's other comics (Runaways, Y: the last man) but I'm an avid fan of Lost, and seeing that he is quite highly regarded in the comic world I thought I'd give this a go.

The story concerns Mitchell Hundred, a civil engineer who becomes empowered with the ability to interface with and command any kind of machinery following an encounter with some unknown (possibly alien) technology under the Brooklyn Bridge. It is written in a form that flits between events that happened in the past shortly after gaining his powers and becoming a superhero known as 'Great Machine', and the present time where he has retired his superhero alter ego and is now mayor of New York; The events and struggles he experiences in both roles are juxtaposed.

With its backdrop of a post 9/11 New York City, there are some interesting points and opinions raised regarding political/goverment reaction and the expectations of the public, and the overall feel of despair and paranoia that followed that day are cleverly expressed. Theres little action here, but you can feel it building into something rather big (in both a political and superhero vs supervillian sense). The dialogue between characters is certainly of an adult nature. Along side Supreme Power, this is one of the more intelligent graphic novels I've read recently and I will certainly be checking out the next volume once I've ploughed through the rest of my TBR list.
    • By solace91z
      Set in 2002, Y: The Last man begins with the central Character Yorick (an escapologist) on the phone to his girlfriend in australia. Just as he is about to propose to her, somewhere else the first human clone is being born. At the same time as both of these events, every living thing on the planet with a Y chromasome suddenly expires. That is, except for Yorick and his helper monkey Ampersand. The story then follows Yorick as he attempts to reach first his mother in Washington, and then his girlfriend in Australia, all the while encountering millitant feminist groups and scientists along the way.

I was initially put off by the rather dated look of the art work, but I'm glad I persevered as Brian K. Vaughan packs lots comedy, action and social/political commentary into a stunning first volume. I have borrowed the hardback deluxe edition which contains volumes 1 and 2 from a friend, but I'm sure I'll buy these up eventually as they deserve a place on the shelf alongside other notable series such as Preacher and Ex Machina (another Vaughan title).
    • By Hazel
      Sci-fi comics aren't normally my thing but having looked at this in the school library, I knew I wanted to read more.

Two worlds in the galaxy, Wreath and Cleave, and the residents are in opposition. But two soldiers on opposing sides fall in love and have a baby. Now both sides are after them and they must find somewhere safe in the galaxy to raise their family.

Star-crossed lovers indeed and nothing startingly new, but the dialogue and the characters will grab hold of you and it makes for gripping reading. Over the normal dialogue the baby narrates the story of her parents and tells us where the story is going to go.

On a personal note, I was overjoyed to see that they call their alien-hybrid-saviour baby Hazel. Genius.