Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Testament of Youth - etc.

I have copied the following posts, made by Hilary in another forum, as I think the various autobiographical books of Vera Brittain deserve reading/re-reading and discussing in their own thread.

I've read all sorts by Vera Brittain and in fact I only know who Shirley Williams is because of her mother, not the other way around. I'd love to meet her and chat to her about what her mum was like and what she remembers about her childhood and everything.

Tip. Don't watch [the film of] Testament of Youth before you've read the book. As with anything, it's worth reading the book first. Letters of a Lost Generation is so emotional too...

...Sorry, 'emotional' was such a rubbish summary. I was being hounded by my daughter in that 'what's for tea, can I help you cook tea, what are we having, can I help you?' type way and I had to go and organise something.

The books are really sad and raw but yet uplifting and full of hope too, I always feel really challenged to make something of my life and my choices when I've read one of her books and grateful that other people lived and fought and struggled and died to give us peace and freedom and choices. She makes me feel proud to be a woman and grateful to live in the era I do. They are books of survival as well as of death, of grief and learning to move on and of true friendship and of looking outside of yourself and your own life to make a difference in a wider political way.

And stuff. ;)

I'm going away for the weekend to be trained, and have packed Testament of Youth in my suitcase. Ok, so I've packed about 4 other books too, so I'm sure of having a book for every eventuality, but there's a good chance that I'll at least start this, while I'm there.

I am very cross that I missed this programme (part of the Remembrance programming on the BBC).

Says it's not available on iPlayer, but as it was only broadcast* a couple of hours ago I'm hoping it will be available later.

* and is still to be shown in Scotland (in about 25mins)

Looks like there will be a repeat next week

17 Nov 2008 01:20 BBC One
I won't be watching at that time, so do I video it? Or hope that it will be available on iPlayer afterwards?

Thanks for pointing this out, Meg. I'm loving the book so far. I shall certainly set things up to record it.

My mum and sister are both enthusiasts for this book, so I'm surprised it's taken me this long to get round to reading it, as usually they are a reliable source of recommendations. To my shame, I think I've not got round to it because the front cover makes it look so dull and 'worthy' :o Very glad to be proved wrong.

the front cover makes it look so dull and 'worthy'
Mine is quite an old edition, so I'm not surprised, but I've just looked on Amazon, and they all have a look of dull history.

Not sure how they could make it look more eye-catching without somehow trivialising it 'though.

True! I can't quite imagine it with "VERA BRITTAIN" in big, gold, embossed letters on the front. I'm just shallow, sometimes, and judge a book by the cover, despite all advice to the contrary :rolleyes::D

I saw Testament of Youth in my local charity bookshop and grabbed it. It's a thick book, but one I find difficult to put down. Fair, frank and honest in sentiments and in the expression of same, VB's account of the anguish of adolescence is unsurpassed, her brooding over war and its inevitable tragedy is heart-rending, for we know what's bound to come and that her 'innocent' love will be blasted in the bud.

I've only read a fifth of this massive tome, but am captivated by its blend of innocence and sophistication. Here is an intelligent woman breaking the first of many moulds on her way to freedom, struggling against parental opposition and what seems like society's conspiracy to clip her wings and dragoon her into Blake's 'marriage hearse' as soon as possible.