Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

I've read a few pages of "True Tales of American Life", edited by Paul Auster and published in 2003.

I saw Auster being interviewed on Charlie Rose, and this was brought up. Auster said he was amazed by how many of the stories, although written by people all over the country, were set in New York City. I don't know how many New York stories made the final edition, but it may be something to watch for.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Wanderer's Tale - David Bilborough, which I enjoyed a lot and will attempt to start a thread on it later.

Started Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie ,after picking through the thread about it here, carefully, so I didn't find out too much about it. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I saw Auster being interviewed on Charlie Rose, and this was brought up. Auster said he was amazed by how many of the stories, although written by people all over the country, were set in New York City. I don't know how many New York stories made the final edition, but it may be something to watch for.

I haven't noticed that yet, SlowRain, maybe because I am still in the Animal Stories section which naturally lend themselves to more rural setting, but if it is true then it doesn't surprise me that much for three reasons:

1. As I said in my post, the kind of people who listen to NPR and would submit stories are what the outgoing President and his cronies would dismiss as the East Coast liberal intellectual elite, many of whom live in New York City and the surrounding area.

2. Brooklyn resident Auster is inextricably linked with the city thanks to "The New York Trilogy" and was perhaps prone to being favourable towards stories set there when selecting which ones to anthologise.

3. NYC is the kind of place people pass through at some point in their lives even if they don't live there long term.

Anyway, I'll shut up as this thread isn't meant for this kind of discussion, although if the mods want to split some of the posts off into a new thread I'm not sure where you'd put it since it isn't fiction. Biography??

Nobody True by James Herbert

Obviously experimenting with a new writing style, which is absolutely...........hate using these words, but nothing else fits...........crap. Story's an interesting concept, which is why I'm still reading it.

I don't even remember having read it. :confused:
Umm, I've been trying to find the thread. I don't think I dreamed it, though it's possible as I do dream about books and about BGO sometimes (sad, I know). Maybe it was pre-crash. I remember being impressed at the depths of your loathing, m. :)

Umm, I've been trying to find the thread. I don't think I dreamed it, though it's possible as I do dream about books and about BGO sometimes (sad, I know). Maybe it was pre-crash. I remember being impressed at the depths of your loathing, m. :)
You know me better than I know myself!

I had checked my 2006 & 2007 reading lists, and the BGO thread on the book, none of which were any help. but after your post above I went further back, and consulted my old reading diary, and there it was!

Back in June 2004 I wrote:

After a gripping start, with a palpable feeling of distress, betrayal and impending disaster, I was disappointed with the way the story continued, told in snippets of past and future events, hints and innuendo.

None of the characters were at all attractive, and I abandoned it halfway through

I guess that I wrote about my deep disappointment with the book sometime during the 14 months that were lost in The Crash, and have subsequently banished it completely from my memory.

I still don't recall a single thing about it :o

Back in June 2004 I wrote:

...with the way the story continued, told in snippets of past and future events, hints and innuendo.

None of the characters were at all attractive, and I abandoned it halfway through

What disappointed you Meg was what enthuses me so much! :)