Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I've just finished reading Another Man's life by Greg Williams. It's about two brothers - identical twins, one a rich bachelor who runs his own company and the other an unemployed house-husband with wife and two kids - who decide to swap lives with each other for two weeks, while the wife is out on a business trip.

I don't think I am giving anything away by revealing that the wife returns unexpectedly early and the three biggest clients of the company up sticks.

It's an easy read and Greg Williams has a good turn of phrase but I think the book could have been better plotted in terms of how the brothers deal with the other's problems.

I picked up a copy of The Bullet Trick by Louise Welsh yesterday for 2.50 Euros. Since it's set in Berlin and Glasgow, and I'm a Glaswegian in Berlin, I felt I couldn't refuse! I started it last night. It doesn't have the immediate appeal of The Cutting Room, but I'm liking it so far.

I must declare it has been a good while since I picked up a book to read, though I have at this moment been flicking through a book to learn the Finnish language.

College just tends to get in the way a lot. :rolleyes:

I'm about to start When We Were Bad by Charlotte Mendelson.
This is next at the top of the pile!

Currently reading: The Clothes on their Backs by Linda Grant.

When We Were Bad by Charlotte Mendelson is next at the top of my pile too.

Together with dozen other books.

I'm half way through The Keep by Jennifer Egan, getting irritated by her style, especially the way in which she presents dialogue. I've also started

The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff and she irritated me with her misspelled Polish words. Ah. But I want to persevere.

I've also started couple other books. Desperately trying to find some more time to read them all.

Sounds like quite a few people are tackling the Orange Prize longlist. I loved Nancy Huston's Fault Lines, so Dabarai, if you get too annoyed with the Egan, I can heartily recommend the Huston.

I'm about to start When We Were Bad by Charlotte Mendelson.

Having finished the novel (see 21st Century books thread) I'd be interested in your view (and anybody else's who's giving it a go).

Thanks, chuntzy. I'll have a look at your thoughts once I'm finished. I'm only a few pages in and so far it's a much more light-hearted read than the other two of this year's Orange longlisted novels I've read to date.

Have just finished 'The World According to Bertie' by Alexander McCall Smith which I have been reading for some light relief and am now starting 'Cat's Eye' by Margaret Atwood which has been on my MTR (meaning to read) list for some time.

Having seen when trying to renew my library books online yesterday that Mister Pip is not renewable I've put Lady Chatterley's Lover aside for the day and am reading Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones.

Just finished Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
I'm surprised to see that we don't have a thread on Snow Falling On Cedars. I must look it up in my old reading notebook and see if I can remember enough to start one.

Just finished Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (fabulous) and have started Day by A.L. Kennedy (great but one of those books where if your mind wanders you miss a big chunk of it - have to really concentrate).