Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends how much you want to concentrate: The Amateur Marriage is a dead easy read that I finished in a couple of evenings and enjoyed. Brick Lane is harder work, but I really enjoyed it and its one of those that stays with you. I thought it would be like the God of Small things (which I found really really slow) but I really enjoyed it.

I'm really struggling with The Electric Michaelangelo. Any views on whether I should stick with it?

Thanks Helen

My mind is whirring with a million different things at the moment :confused: so I think I might go for The Amateur Marriage if I don't need to think about it too much! This is the time when I usually read children's novels as although they still require thinking they are usually not quite as intense (still great though). :)

I'm now reading An instance of the fingerpost by Iain Pears. My sister recommended it to me, and I think it's going to be really good. I'm already intruiged by this 17th century world narrated by an complete outsider, although I must consider just how reliable he is.

I'm reading Any Human Heart by William Boyd. Its a good one to pick up and jump into because its written in the form of a diary/journal.

I've also just started reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Its the BGO Book Group choice for April.

Captain Holly you might want to join in our discussion on this. Its only just been chosen so the forums aren't open yet. Everyone is welcome!

I've just come back from a week's seclusion in Gloucestershire indulging in an orgy of reading.

Finally, the end of Neal Stephenson's vast "Quicksilver" is in sight, having started it in January. Its hard going but so richly rewarding in ideas, atmosphere, swashbuckling derring-do, devious politics, paranoia and humour. I shall be moving onto the second volume of the Baroque Cycle, "The Confusion" as soon as I've finished it.

I finished "Snow Falling on Cedars" while trundling down to the west country. A fine tale and even the romantic slushy bits didn't get in the way for this stony hearted misanthrope. My new audiobook is "Atonement", which I rate as middling McEwan so far, but for some reason his prose doesn't seem to lend itself too well to being read out loud and I can't work out why.

I've moved onto Volume 4 of The Dark Tower which hasn't gripped me yet but King can be a slow burner. I've just started Susan Delgado's tale, for those in the know.

My real world reading group is this month reading selections from the "Reel Fiction" reading list drawn up by the Association of London Libraries - see this link for more info. I've selected "East of Eden" and am loving it so far - Adam and Cathy have just bought a ranch in the Salinas Valley, so I think I'm only really just getting into the meat of the story now, about 150 pages in.

I can't fathom why, but I seem to have got into the habit of choosing really long books this year :confused: . Maybe its 'cos big books make you look really clever, either that or its 'cos every time I finish a book I find it really hard to select a new one, so a large book will put off the agony of making a decision for longer.

Just finished ‘The Time Travellers Wife’ and just started ‘Colour of Magic’ by Terry Pratchett, so far am loving it, I recently discovered that Science Fiction, Myth and Fantasy were my cup of tea, I have no idea why it took me so long to discover this (seen as I watch Star Wars and Star Trek (not Generation though :rolleyes: ) and anything that has to do with Witches and Wizards etc etc.) I recently read the first two Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers’ Guide and Restaurant at the End of the Universe) this was the start of my obsession (Thanks to Grammath’s wonderful description of Hitchhiker’s guide I am hooked :D )

Have just finished Our Hidden Lives, and was about to start 'The Namesake' by Jhumpa Lahiri, which has come from one of my postal book groups. I have enjoyed her short stories, so have been looking forward to this, but having just read the synopsis, I recognise the main character and plot outlinr. It has taken me by surprise, as I only remember reading "The Interpreter of Maladies' by this author. Will have to look back in my reading diary to find out when I read this before.

In the meantime, I am dipping into the two books of poetry I bought on Saturday, and am expecting the arrival of 'Cloud Atlas', and TC's book any day now.

I recently read the first two Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers’ Guide and Restaurant at the End of the Universe) this was the start of my obsession (Thanks to Grammath’s wonderful description of Hitchhiker’s guide I am hooked :D )

*blush* Thank you for your kind words, happyfriday. I'm currently awaiting the film with some trepidation as well as the final Radio 4 series adapting the last two books, which starts in May.

Am now happily reading 'The Namesake'

Having been unable to discover evidence of having read it before from my reading diary, I was told it has been a Radio4 'Book At Bedtime'. Clearly, it is one of thise books I have fallen asleep to, and am now able to catch up on the whole story!

'Cloud Atlas' arrived yesterday, so is ready to start as soon as I finish 'The Namesake'.

Just finished Cloud Atlas - excellent, and now reading Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris. Really good so far, much prefer it to Chocolat.

Feel free to join in the BGO book group discussion on Cloud Atlas - its our reading choice for April.

Currently reading........... :rolleyes: ............Cloud Atlas !

To make this a less "literary" list, I'm reading a young adult novel called Candy by a chap called Kevin Brooks. Its great, its got a bit of everything, and is fast paced too!

Also recently read a book called "Join Me: the true story of a man who started a cult by accident" by Danny Wallace. Very funny and inspiring, I've joined him (see http://www.join-me.co.uk if you're interested!).