Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

...His work is slowly being translated into English ...
That is usually a problem, it often takes ages and lots of other awards etc. until a writer is translated into English.
Has anyone read any of the now available 'foreign' writers?
One of my favourite books has now been translated (after 12 years!) and an Oscar for best foreign movie: Nowhere in Africa by Stephanie Zweig.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now onto the Penguin Blog-A-Classic, my one and only foray into the blogasphere I think, with Isabella Bird's Adventures In The Rocky Mountains. And dipping in and out of Martin Toseland's The Ants Are My Friends - an amusing book about malapropisms, mondegreens, and eggcorns.

I loved this book Katrina, have you read any of Cornelia Funke's other books. Inkspell and Inkheart are brilliant. :)

I agree - I think they are all fantastic, and can't wait to get my hands on her most recently translated book, Igraine the Brave.

I read The Red Tent the year before last and agree its a great book.

Please go and be a positive presence on our discussion thread! So far it is all rather negative in there, so don't let Billybob look if she really wants to read it!

I am currently reading books for our South East Carnegie and Greenaway nomination day on 17th October, and this years round of books from the Romantic Novelists Association (which have review sheets that need posting by 1st November) - the same day of my next RL book club meeting! I may not be around much in the near future!!

So:-

Recently read: Berserk - Ally Kennen (CKG)

Reading: Alone on a Wide Wide sea - Michael Morpurgo (CKG)

Next: The Summer of Secrets - Martina Reilly (RNA)

I'm going to start reading Dicken's Bleak House tonight. Just got it from the library, didn't know it was so BIG, will take ages. Hope it's good.

I'm reading Bleak House at the moment. I'm racing through, past page 200 already and enjoying it tremendously. I saw the BBC adaptation when it was on last year or the year before and I think that this knowledge of the plot might be helping. Some of the character descriptions are amazing. I particularly like that of Mr Snagsby who 'tends to meekness and obesity.'

I'm going to start reading Dicken's Bleak House tonight. Just got it from the library, didn't know it was so BIG, will take ages. Hope it's good.

It's fantastic, and a quick read as well, despite its size. The BBC adaptation is also very good if you get a chance to see it, but I would recommend seeing if after you've read the book.