Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

Finished Timequake by the one and ony Mr. Vonnegut. It was a bit random, but Vonnegut's random ramblings are entertaining enough without a "story" getting in the way. ;)

Started Generation X by Douglas Coupland.

Mr. Coupland is fast becoming my favourite contemporary author, but we all know that that can change on an almost daily basis for some of us. :)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm currently trying to get through some of the Booker longlist, hoping that I will have read some of the shortlist when it is announced in September.

So far I've read Mister Pip (very good), What Was Lost (not very good), and I'm in the middle of The Welsh Girl (so far very good). I had already read On Chesil Beach (quite good) a few months ago.

That will be the extent of my longlist reads as I have my real-life book group to read for soon (Light Years by James Salter) and another online book group book to read (The Distance Between Us by Maggie O'Farrell).

Have now started If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, by Jon McGregor, which seems to be very much my kind of book :D

My fav read of the year (so far0.

I've started Un Lun Dun by Meiville, very good so far :D and I love all the drawings reminds me of The Lemony Snickett books in many ways.

Well, after raving about The Book Thief on BGO and, having just finished I am the Messenger (fantastic - review to follow), I have just spent ages trawling Amazon and Ebay picking up copies of Markus Zusak's earlier books. He has very quickly become one of my favourite writers for young adults - for anybody!

So, have just purchased :D (and can't wait to receive):

Fighting Ruben Wolfe and it's sequel Getting the Girl (though my copy of the sequel is called When Dogs Cry as I managed to pick up a bargain copy of the original Australian release on Ebay).

Now I think I shall read Stephen Fry's The Liar.

Just realised, my purchase information should have gone in the 'just bought' thread! That is how excited I am about reading the Zusak books! It is such a good feeling when you really latch on to a writers work isn't it? :banana:

Picked and began to read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole last night, enjoying it so far.

HI LESLEYMP

I will interested to read your assessment of A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES when you finish it.

I won't share my feeelings about it right now.

ENJOY

GERBAM

I started Barbara Gowdy's Helpless last night. It has already annoyed me because it has exactly the same image on the cover as A M Homes' The End of Alice; a butterfly trapped in a glass jar. As the subject matter of both books are very similar, I already am viewing Gowdy's book quite negatively.

Reading A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.
Oh, chuntzy, that is one of my favourite books, it will keep you occupied for a while - even after you read it. ;)

Anyway, finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards ages ago, then I read The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson and now I started Joyce Carol Oates' The Gravediggers' Daughter. One good book follows another.