Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

New poster here.........

Currently reading 'A Profound Secret' - Josceline Dimbleby. Biography about the authors great aunt & her relationship with Edward Burne-Jones, the painter. As a lover of historical biographies & a lover of the pre-raphealite painters this one caught my eye.

Only just started it - so can't comment on the contents yet!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have now finished 'White Oleander'. It continued in much the same vein as described earlier, although I didn't find it quite as tedious as I had expected.

The way the heroine's character is developed as she goes through various foster homes, and as her mother attempts still to control her by her prison visits and letters makes it more interesting than it first appears. I can't bear the thought that it might have any similarity to the real experience of foster-care in California 'though.

For a little light relief I am now reading 'The Full Cupboard of Life', the fifth of Alexander McCall Smith's 'No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' series.

Well I went down to the library hoping, but not expecting, to find a copy of The Rotters' Club on the shelves. Nothing there, so I picked up an earlier Jonathan Coe book, 'Dwarves of Death'. Interesting title I thought.

So the narrator goes to a flat to audition for a band. One of the band members had set up a scam to rip off some drugs dealers and, presumably as a result of this, was battered to death in said flat by two dwarves.

The narrator was cowering in the shadows and survived, and from chapter 2 starts telling us how he came to be there in the first place.

Different.

I've just finished "Her Husband" by Diane Middlebrook, which is about Hughes and Plath, and concentrates mainly on the interaction of the creative process between the two, who lived and worked so closely together. It is a very interesting book, and I'm still thinking about it...which could be why I can't decide what to read next!

I was reading Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce, but it think it was a bit too surreal for me, and I was having to force myself to read it, so I stopped. I'm now about half way through the second Simon Scarrow - The Eagle's Conquest, which is much better than the first one.

Started two new books in the last few days. Firstly, David Guterson's "Snow Falling on Cedars" on audiobook, one of those novels I'd heard good things about and wanted to check out. The setting, a small island in Puget Sound, reminds me of Newfoundland in "The Shipping News", but the tone of the two books is quite different. Its set in the 1950s and revolves around the trial of a recent Japanese arrival on the island for the murder of a local fisherman.

The other book is "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde, for my face to face reading group. Naturally, its full of witty, pithy epigrams, and I can see why it might have been controversial in its day - the gay subtexts seem barely contained.

Started 'Eve Green' by Susan Fletcher last night.

Am 60 pages in, and am enjoying it very much so far. It is one of those books that starts off with lots of references to things happening in the narrators life, or hints about the past that intrigue and puzzle the reader. Gradually all these disconnected strands are woven into a coherent story. (At least they do in the good ones, the process is only just starting at the point I'm at).

I believe this book won the Whitbread 'New novel' category this year, although there is no mention of that on the cover.

I have finished Eve Green. It continued being a page-turner, with plenty to intrigue the reader, and even at the end not all the questions have been answered, so there is still plenty to think about, even when the book is finished.

Don't want to dive straight into another novel, so am about to start 'Our Hidden Lives' The Everyday Diaries of a Forgotten Britain 1945 - 1948 by Simon Garfield.

I will probably put a bit about this in the 'History and Politics' forum in a few days.

Hi

I've made a note about 'Eva Green'. I LOVE hearing what others are reading as it's so good to get recommendations.

I'm reading 'The Smoke Jumper' by Nicholas Evans for my face to face group.

I'm also reading 'Second Nature' by Alice Hoffman as she's an author I really like and I'm slowly working my way through all she's written. So I'm in a very American mood at present!

Willow

Currently reading....Feel - Robbie's (auto)biography

Imajica Clive Barker

Struggling with Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, think I am too tired to concentrate when i pick it up.

Nigella's Feast well not so much reading as cooking from it.

Also dipping into the Alex Riders my son is reading.

And my Chambers dictionary when I get stuck on the crossword!

Oh and been browsing my poetry books for the poetry chain..

Now reading a book reccomended to me by a friend at our local library.

'The Clearing' by Tim Gautreaux

It's set in the Louisiana swamps in the 1920's and is about a mill and 2 brothers.

So far I'm finding it as good as she said it was.

willow