Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

Do you really believe that's the reason!

Errmm, that's one of the reasons she states, so, yes.

Anyway, having finished "Lucifer's Hammer" I'm now reading "The Children's War" by JN Stroyar as recommended on another thread.

An alternative history novel where the 3rd Reich won the 2nd World War. This is a massive book, one of those taller than usual paperbacks that doesn't fit with the rest of the shelf and it still has 1250+ pages, and each new chapter follows on immediately after the previous one ends, so no blank pages. Huge I tell ya!

50 pages in and seems as if it'll be good.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to get through 'All the Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy. I'm about fifty pages in and still haven't a clue what's going on mainly because of his writing style, the complete lack of punctuation and poor description. So far I've got that it's about a boy who runs away from a broken home, and he like horses. So that's going back to the library tomorrow.

I got through to the end of it, more fool me, and you are wise to stop now. One of the dullest, most overrated novels I have ever read.

At last, I've finished Runes of the Earth, the first book in the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Excellent book, with a tremedous cliff-hanger of an ending.

Before I return to the Dark Tower, I am reading a graphic novel (we used to call them comics!). Power and Responsibility, the first in the Ultimate Spiderman series, which re-tells the Spiderman story, but set in the 21st century. Last year I read the first 6 books of original Spiderman stories, with every story from 1962 until the mid-70s, so it's interesting to see the modern take. I'll post some thoughts under the Graphic Novel section when I've finished.

Not current reading, I read 'I'm not Scared' 6 months ago. I found it a very strange book.

It is a plot with possibilities, but is disappointing in the way it is handled.

Because of the simple linear style, with little character development, examination of back-story, or sub-plots it read like a children's book. However, the story is dark, and the end far too troubling for a child to contemplate.

Apparantly it has been made into a film, and I can see it could be a good one...in fact, it reads more like 'the book of the film' than a fully developed novel in its own right.

I'm still reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, having started it before New Year. It's so packed with stuff, though, I can't read more than a few pages at a time or I get lost! But I do love a nice big book to wallow in.

Next on my to-read list is The Time Traveller's Wife. I've been hearing about this book for months and almost everyone seems to have good things to say about it so I have to give it a go.

I'm thoroughly impressed anyone could read 5 books in a week. I can get good solid reading done only if I'm on a trip (and my husband is driving the car). I get a lot of audiobooks listened to because I keep them going while I'm driving to work.

Right now I'm reading Molokai by O. A. Bushnell. It is a beautifully-written story of the leper colony on the Hawaiin Island of Molokai in the early 19th century. I know it doesn't sound like a cheerful read, but is a beautiful and moving story. It's 539 pp. so it's taking me a bit, but I don't want to hurry through it.

In the car, I'm listening to the Narnia series, #6, The Silver Chair.

Have now finished 'Small Island'. For my thoughts see the thread in the Top Twenty Books.

I am now reading a book for one of my postal Bookgroups; The White Oleander by Janet Fitch. It has been an Oprah Winfrey Bookclub choice. Not a book I would have chosen for myself.

A hundred pages in we have had murder by the heroine's mother of her ex-lover, and her subsequent imprisonment; fostering; trailer trash; alcoholism; fundamental religion; pot smoking; under-age sex; and attempted murder of the 14yr old heroine herself.

It is available on Amazon if that lot takes your fancy!

Have finished 'Small Island'. For my thoughts see the thread in the Top Twenty Books.

I am now reading a book for one of my postal Bookgroups; The White Oleander by Janet Fitch. It has been an Oprah Winfrey Bookclub choice. Not a book I would have chosen for myself.

A hundred pages in we have had murder by the heroine's mother of her ex-lover, and her subsequent imprisonment; fostering; trailer trash; alcoholism; fundamental religion; pot smoking; under-age sex; and attempted murder of the 14yr old heroine herself.

It is available on Amazon if that lot takes your fancy!

I've just finished reading Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, very funny parody of all the vampire books you've ever read.

I'm listening to Elizabeth I by David Starkey (read by Robert Powell) in the car - I'm really enjoying this, it is so interesting. It concentrates on her early years and tries to explore her character rather than just re-hashing the events of the reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI and Mary I.

And I'm reading A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George - this has been recommended by so many people I thought I would give it a go. I'm not sure about it so far, but it is early days yet.

I have just read Purple Hibiscus and really enjoyed it - particularly because the setting and the type of story falls outside most of the books I read. Chimamanda Adichie captures the way a small girl views her world with heartbreaking accuracy while, at the same time, putting her situation in a context we can understand. There is no doubt that Nigeria can be a scary country and Adichie manages to portray all the elements from high level corruption to extreme moral standards. I read this book in two sittings - lost a lot of sleep! Keep reading - it has a marvellous twist at the end. Shall be really interested, Topsy, to hear what you think of it. So far I don't know anyone else who has read it. Incidentally unfamiliar Nigerian names are not so difficult if you break them down into syllables!

I love David Lodge books and own most of them. I recently got one out of the library (Therapy) which I thought was new to me but half a page in and I realized I had read it before. Yesterday I notice that it is one of the ones I own, but had forgotten. Good anyway.

I'm reading The Chamber by John Grisham, only having read his autobiographical type book before (The Painted House, I think) so this is completely different. Must see what all the fuss about Grisham is about!

Hi all

Just started reading TIme Travellers Wife, but also in the middle of getting a new bedroom fitted, so not as comfy pre-bedtime read at the moment. Also reading some of the short stories in Toby Litt's Adventures in Capitalism. Enjoying them very much, am studying them for college. Anyone read it???

What do people feel about short stories in general?

Sam

I read Adventures in Capitalism a few years back, there's some good stuff in there. My favourite book of Litt's that I've read is Beatniks, it was one of those books that, for me, prompted cringing self-recognition in parts and its very funny.

I've written elsewhere on BGO about short stories - generally very much in favour of them but struggle to find good ones.

I finished "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" by Dai Sijie (sp?) last night, who is Chinese, not Welsh as the first name might suggest. Its the story of the "re-education" of two teenagers during the Cultural Revolution. I was expecting a "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" type tale, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Am currently reading Small Island by Andrea Levy, brilliant so far. Next on the list is Brick Lane by Monica Ali. I have been meaning to get this for ages so am grateful for Christmas book tokens and 3 for 2 offers for allowing me to go bookshopping again (although I still have a 2 full shelves on my books to read bookcase)! Also looking forward to reading The Time Traveller's Wife, looks fabulous.

I have never understood how people can read more than one book at a time (one of my best friends usually has about 5 on the go). I get too into one book and have to keep reading it, if I do find myself changing to another book halfway through I know that the first one either wasn't that good or it wasn't the right time for me to read it!