Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I started 'The Law of Dreams' by Peter Behrens, the free book I got from Waterstones (when they send you that email each week). Seems quite interesting so far, about the Irish potato famine.

I'm also reading (as 'research' for my still-to-be-written-novel) 'Kosovo: A Short History' by Noel Malcolm.

I started 'The Law of Dreams' by Peter Behrens, the free book I got from Waterstones (when they send you that email each week). Seems quite interesting so far, about the Irish potato famine.

I started this book last night as well, I'm also reading it for Waerstone's review, looks good so far, I'm really enjoying the way everything is described.

I started Niccolo Ammmaniti's I'm Not Scared last night. With all the lovely books I have recently acquired, I am like a ki in a sweetie shop - it's so hard to pick.

I read this about a year ago Hazel, I wasn't expecting to like it but I actually enjoyed it very much.

I'm afraid to say I'm giving up on Light Years by James Salter. I have got to page 80 but I really can't get into it. I hate giving up on books but I have so many on my tbr mountain I really don't want to waste my time on the one's that just don't grab me. Anyway I have now started Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. So far, as expected, it is brilliant. :)

I'm afraid to say I'm giving up on Light Years by James Salter. I have got to page 80 but I really can't get into it. I hate giving up on books but I have so many on my tbr mountain I really don't want to waste my time on the one's that just don't grab me. :)
Hooray, I have a new soul-mate!

Finished Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny - which was excellent.

Started Lord of the Flies - William Golding. After ordering a book that was being hyped as a "21st Century Lord of the Flies" I realised I hadn't read it before, so I decided to remedy this when I spotted it at a bookcrossing zone.

Oh dear! I'm currently not reading On Beauty, by Zadie Smith.

I am a bit over 50 pages in, and am finding myself very reluctant to pick it up.

Admittedly, while the weather has been good I have been working in the garden, and am too tired to read when I stop ( I can just about prop myself up at the computer keyboard, or flop in front of the tv :rolleyes: )

However, if I was enjoying a book, I'm sure I'd manage a page or two, tired or not.

Am I the only one who finds Zadie Smith's writing and characters a bit pretentious?

Oh dear! I'm currently not reading On Beauty, by Zadie Smith.

I am a bit over 50 pages in, and am finding myself very relctant to pick it up.

It became a chore for me to read it as well so you have my sympathy.

Am I the only one who finds Zadie Smith's writing and characters a bit pretentious?

I don't know about pretentious, but I just didn't care about the characters in On Beauty. The book was highly over-rated in my opinion.

I read White Teeth with my previous book club. I didn't dislike it but it wasn't my favourite either. At least, it hasn't encouraged me to read another of her novels, yet.

Finished Lord of the Flies which I enjoyed a lot. Now starting a book that has been translated from Japanese with a similar message but modernised called - Battle Royale - Koushun Takami.

I think it was this line from the blurb that hooked me - "Criticised as violent exploitation when first published in Japan..."

Which probably says more about me than the book. :D

Having finished A Swift Pure Cry, I've started Tony Benn's autobiography, Dare to be a Daniel. The content is really interesting, but the style is surprisingly leaden.

Originally posted by Krey20: Now starting a book that has been translated from Japanese with a similar message but modernised called - Battle Royale - Koushun Takami.

I saw the Japanese film of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would be interested to read your thoughts on the book.

I am now well into 'The Book of Dave' by Will Self and have borrowed 'The Observations' by Jane Harris from work. Just purchased 'Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress' by Dai Sijie - have been dying to read it and if it happens to be the next BGO read that will be great, if not, then I will have to purchase yet another book - oh dear, how awful! I am at home all week (bliss) so shall use all this rainy, cold weather as an excuse to sit in and read rather than work on the garden!

Started The End Of Alice by A.M. Homes. Finding it a bit difficult to get in to, getting confused between the two stories.

Having finished A Swift Pure Cry,

Which is what I am about to start. Have been working my way through the 4 books on the Carnegie shortlist that I hadn't read before I go on holiday next week. When I get home I have 2 days before the winner is announced, and I though as I am going to the ceremony I ought to have read the books!

I'm re-reading John McGaghern's Amongst Women. It is just as fantabuloso the second time. :)

That's a great word! Can you give me any further details on this novel, now that you have aroused my attention with such a creative word!

Currently I'm reading 1984 (George Orwell - like I needed to type his name!). I can see why people have been telling me to read this for such a long time. I've only really just started, but already I can see the influence that this book has had on society ("BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" on the opening page). I also love how some of the governmental departments are termed paradoxically, like the 'Ministry of Love', which is responsible for ensuring loyalty to Big Brother, by using any means necessary.

This is going to keep me up late tonight, as I no doubt will not be able to put it down until I finish it.

I'm also very interested in reading Remains of the Day now too, and will probably pick that up and read on the weekend.

Happy reading!

I'm also very interested in reading Remains of the Day now too,

That's it, you're infected!

The BGO infection, results in gross enlargement of the TBR pile!

Welcome to the sanatorium :D

Currently I'm reading 1984 (George Orwell - like I needed to type his name!). I can see why people have been telling me to read this for such a long time. I've only really just started, but already I can see the influence that this book has had on society ("BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU" on the opening page). I also love how some of the governmental departments are termed paradoxically, like the 'Ministry of Love', which is responsible for ensuring loyalty to Big Brother, by using any means necessary.

That's a great book. I read it last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. Happy reading to you too! :)

I'm nearly finished The Sea. Not the best book I've read this year, despite the Booker win.

Finished - Battle Royale - which was very good. I will start a thread soon but I need to have a think as it tackles some interesting issues in a very up front manner.

This book has interested me so much I researched it a bit further and discovered that it's built a bit of a cult franchise for itself. A Japanese live action movie has been made as well as a 15 volume graphic novel adaptation. This perked my interest in comics and made me dig my small collection out again.

I was horrified to discover that I hadn't finished my Akira set. I managed to collect the first 4 volumes but obviously, at the time, couldn't afford the last two. while the mood took me, (and before I realised what I had done) I ordered the last two Akira volumes and the first two Battle royale books!

So now I'm re-reading the Akira series in preparation for the arrival of the finale.