Abbynormal92243

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 09/02/2016 at 08:55, chuntzy said:

Recommended by MOH: The White Van by Patrick Hoffman - not my usual fare but giving it a go.

Curious to know how you liked the book.

I just discovered Hoffman earlier this year and have been slurping up his work quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban

Set 2000 years in the future, the entire book is written in a phonetically spelled gibberish language.

This might take a while. 

Edited by hux

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently reading two books.

1. Peter Matthiessen's The Snow Leopard - Perhaps only Pico Iyer and Matthiessen write about traveling and undertaking expeditions as pilgrimages, but they do so without seeming corny; they don't patronize or exoticize. The Snow Leopard in particular features terrific accounts of the material wonders and horrors of the Himalayas (geological; flora and fauna; as well as the living conditions of the many peoples there). There's also a good deal of erudition regarding Buddhism. So far so very good.

2. Trevor Noah's Born A Crime - I had no idea he's written a book; I knew him only as a TV personality, and when my friend suggested I read this, I offended her by asking if Noah really wrote this, or if it was written by a team of ghost writers - as is often the case with celebrities who release memoirs these days. I'm still far from an answer for that question. Nonetheless, the book is quite good here and there.