Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Lies Sleeping, Ben Aaronvitch. Seventh in the Rivers of London series and no signs of it running out of steam.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:38, Viccie said:

Lies Sleeping, Ben Aaronvitch. Seventh in the Rivers of London series and no signs of it running out of steam.

I've just started this, as you say, on great form as always.

Just started reading Sweet Pea by C J Skuse it was a kindle book I picked up in one of the many offers they bombard you with.

What sold me was the blurb...

'The last person who called me ‘Sweetpea’ ended up dead…

I haven’t killed anyone for three years and I thought that when it happened again I’d feel bad. Like an alcoholic taking a sip of whisky. But no. Nothing. I had a blissful night’s sleep. Didn’t wake up at all. And for once, no bad dream either. This morning I feel balanced. Almost sane, for once.

Rhiannon is your average girl next door, settled with her boyfriend and little dog…but she’s got a killer secret.

Although her childhood was haunted by a famous crime, Rhinannon’s life is normal now that her celebrity has dwindled. By day her job as an editorial assistant is demeaning and unsatisfying. By evening she dutifully listens to her friend’s plans for marriage and babies whilst secretly making a list.

A kill list.

From the man on the Lidl checkout who always mishandles her apples, to the driver who cuts her off on her way to work, to the people who have got it coming, Rhiannon’s ready to get her revenge.

Because the girl everyone overlooks might be able to get away with murder…'

I mean what is not to like about that?!

On 28/10/2019 at 14:35, lunababymoonchild said:

The Inheritors, William Golding

One of my very favourite books.

My Lover's Lover by Maggie O'Farrell.

Not enjoying it much, but plodding on. I am keeping going by writing snarky comments in the margins. It was picked up from a charity book table at a local supermarket, and will be returned there, and I hope my comments will help someone else get through it.

It's terribly dated.

18 hours ago, megustaleer said:

My Lover's Lover by Maggie O'Farrell.

Not enjoying it much, but plodding on. I am keeping going by writing snarky comments in the margins. It was picked up from a charity book table at a local supermarket, and will be returned there, and I hope my comments will help someone else get through it.

It's terribly dated.

I didn't enjoy this much either. Probably my least favourite of her books.

I'm reading both fiction and non-fiction at the moment.

Fiction: Hanif Kureishi's Intimacy - This one polarizes opinion, to put it mildly. This is a collection of a middle-aged man's agonized musings about why he must leave his family. Written and published just as Kureishi stepped out of his marriage, the book has been chastised for its immensely personal nature. I don't think it depicts the wife in bad light at all. If anything, it is a meditation on marriage and male sexuality. Even his first work, The Buddha of Suburbia, led to allegations that he had exploited his father's past. Nonetheless, this is an honest, fresh read. SO FAR.

Non-Fiction: Gregory Mankiw's Principles of Macroeconomics (8th Edition) - Fairly introductory, but informative and insightful. It shows what it means and takes to adopt a "macro" perspective about economics. Also draws from the behavioralist approach to explain consumption and production--the whole nexus of demand and supply. I'm not a big fan of behavioral psych, but it is quite applicable in the context of economics.

The Gospel of Luke as recommended by Cherrypie, a previous member of BGO. King James Version e-book, my choice.  Westwind, Ian Rankin.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Typo and rearrange text to make more sense