Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

Evangelista's Fan - Rose Tremain. A charity shop purchase which has been sitting on my bookshels since 2008.

I don't know why I haven't read it yet; there is no thread for it here on BGO, so pehaps I have been a bit scared that it won't live up to my expectations of a Rose Tremain?

Edit: Ah, now I know why I have not read it before - it is a collection of short stories - not a form that I enjoy.

Or at least not until now. Maybe these will change that?

I

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must admit, the BGO thread on it has made me doubt the wisdom of trying this after such a long break from reading anything that requires concentration.

The first chapter has me hooked, and I think I can cope with the unusual structure, but may get bogged down in the detail. If Lady Lazarus couldn't get to the end I wonder if I have the perseverance! 

On 11/02/2018 at 22:51, megustaleer said:

I must admit, the BGO thread on it has made me doubt the wisdom of trying this after such a long break from reading anything that requires concentration.

The first chapter has me hooked, and I think I can cope with the unusual structure, but may get bogged down in the detail. If Lady Lazarus couldn't get to the end I wonder if I have the perseverance! 

I'm sure that you do.  I may have another attempt at it with my newfound perseverence.

My youngest daughter and I swopped e-readers this weekend and I'm having a lovely time going through stuff I wouldn't normally read. She loves fantascy, Sf, steampunk and Elizabeth Peters. So far I've been through one Elizabeth Peters and am currently on a History of Dragons byMarie Brennan which is steampunk and great fun.

11 hours ago, megustaleer said:

I have started to re-read The Woman In Black, by Susan Hill.

It is considerably lighter than I am Red, which I had made a start on, but which doesn't fit in my bag for reading on the bus, and is too heavy for reading in bed. WiB is much more suitable for those situations

This brings to mind, My main coat did not have an inside pocket. This was a problem as i'd have to carry book with me if I was going out (or a bag). I had asked my mother (who is a great seamstress) to put in an inside pocket for such occasions and gave her a book of an appropriate size to model it on.

Currently reading

In the midst of winter - Isabel Allende (my main read)

The gender games - Juno dawson (weekday evenings)

I was reading stories from joy Williams in the evening but just wasn't liking it and making slow progress. I am finding Juno Dawson's much more enjoyable. It is making me laugh out loud every page or so. The only distractions being from googling references in it.

Kill Creek by Scott Thomas. It has deckled edges. I used to love deckled edges on a book, they look so pretty and I remember long ago on BGO someone said they hated them because they made it harder to turn the pages. I thought pfftt, that’s nonsense. It might be age, but bloody hell, it’s really hard to turn the pages and makes it really hard to have an uninterrupted read! 

In the Days of Rain by Rebecca Stott.

It's a memoir of her and her father's lives as members of the Exclusive Brethren. It interests me because there is a small community of this very closed sect/cult in the village where my German friends live. There, they are colloquially known as "Engländer", "the English", so everyone thinks, coming from the UK, I will know all about them. 

So far, the book is very good. It seems that in the 1960s, the group really changed and began to exercise coercive control in a way it never had before. The book is also very lyrical, though - really well written.

• 2 weeks later...

Am reading an Elizabeth George detective mystery, Inspector Lynley and the every cheeky Barbara Havers, The Punishment She Deserves.  I usually like Ms. George's writing but I'm finding this one seems to be going on at great length with more and more clues appearing every few pages.  There are certainly lots of suspicious characters and it will be interesting to find out who the culprit is - that is if I can bear to continue reading on and on.  I suppose I'm just impatient - just want them to get on with the job and solve it!:hmm:

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

The Accident on the A35, Graeme Macrae Burnet.  Number two in the Georges Gorski series (apparently)

I absolutely loved His Bloody Project by Burnet, interested to hear how you find this Luna.

Had been currently reading until about an hour ago - Had a go at reading Ronald Kessler's book on Inside the White House and found he seemed to be an apologist for Trump, was certainly quite kind to him in the few pages I read to the extent it was describing a man not at all like his public persona as president, and I can't see anything positive about Trump so returned the book.