Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I need something light just now, so I have started Meg Rosoff's first adult novel, Jonathon Unleashed.

I have really enjoyed her teen fiction like How I Live Now. This is a bit lighter in tone, a bit Richard Curtis-esque.

Currently "a horse walks into a bar" by David Grossman.

The next one when I finish it is "the Gustav sonata" by rose Tremain (which viccie has posted a review for today :) )

My attention has been distracted from my ongoing reading of the Game of Thrones sequence by my acquisition of Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD by music journalist Martin Aston.

4AD is a record label responsible for releasing records by some of my all time favourite bands, including Cocteau Twins and Pixies. It still exists, but its founder, the reclusive Ivo Watts-Russell, has long since ceased to be involved, but has granted Aston an extensive interview, as have figures such as Cocteaus' guitarist Robin Guthrie.

It's the kind of indie/alternative music nerdery that appeals to a niche market, of which I'm very much part. Back in the day if a band signed to 4AD I'd instantly want to investigate. The label had in house designers and paid enormous attention to packaging as well as the actual music, making the records themselves desirable objects to own.

Dear Mr m by Herman koch. I am finding it heavy going.

Edited by iff

Since I still don't feel up to anything too mentally taxing thanks to ongoing illness, I've decided it is time to tackle some YA literature.

As I've been reading the original James Bond novels, I thought it would be interesting to see what Charlie Higson has done to create the world of the teenaged Bond, so I've started the first book of the five he wrote, called Silverfin. Officially sanctioned by Fleming's estate apparently. 

I started read The Long Drop by Denise Mina last night, but the last few nights I listened to the S-Town podcast (from the people who made Serial). It was absolutely fantastic.

I've asked to join the reading group at the Central Library here and am due to attend my first meeting this coming Thursday. We will be discussing Sarah Waters' excellent The Paying Guests, which I read a couple of years ago, so rather than rereading that I have started on May's choice, which couldn't be more different, Dan Simmons' Hyperion. A sci-fi novel which makes allusions to Keats and Chaucer. I wasn't initially impressed but am now about 100 pages into it and am slowly warming to it.

Also finished A Feast for Crows, the fourth A Song of Ice and Fire novel, so straight onto A Dance with Dragons. I have to agree with others who have read the A Game of Thrones novels and say A Feast for Crows was the weakest so far, and quite plodding in places apart from the increasingly bonkers Cersei chapters. A Dance with Dragons is much more like it so far, but that I believe is chiefly due to to the return to the forefront of the story of Tyrion and Jon, two of my favourite characters.

Have also recently read David Mitchell's Slade House, which sort of forms a postscript to the marvellous The Bone Clocks. Not destined to be his most memorable work, it is pretty slight and less inventive than much of his work, but fans like myself will find much to love here.

Really though, too much fantasy and sci-fi of late and I need to get my teeth into something a little different next, I'd say...

Just started This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell.

I've just had some brutal dental work, so I'm very glad to have this as an escape. I really like her books and this is not disappointing me.

Currently on a break from fiction and reading "empires in the sun" by Lawrence James about African colonies from 1850s to 1990. Interesting so far.

Lord Foul's Bane- Stephen R Donaldson; first book in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever series. It's alright so far, but hardly un-put-downable. 

Received The Jacaranda Tree from Amazon.UK - very old paperback, pages quite yellow but readable.  Hubby reading it first as the description of the plot interested him, thanks to whoever mentioned it, I'm still having trouble locating former posts with our new system.

29 minutes ago, momac said:

Received The Jacaranda Tree from Amazon.UK - very old paperback, pages quite yellow but readable.  Hubby reading it first as the description of the plot interested him, thanks to whoever mentioned it, I'm still having trouble locating former posts with our new system.

It was Tay that resurrected an old thread originally created by Tag

You are so good at undertaking books which may be a bit of a slog at times.  Good for you Luna.