Currently Reading

Am reading A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny, a Canadian author, and it's so good, as are all her mysteries, that I could hardly put it down to come upstairs to go to bed.  The setting is a fictional village in Quebec called Three Pines, named after the three huge pine trees in the village, and the main character is Armand Gamache, former head of the Quebec Surete (police), and he has come out of semi-retirement to head up the Surete Academy.  His aim is to root out the corruption caused by the former head and set the new recruits on the right path. He hires back the former head who was the main corrupter with the idea that he could maybe get enough evidence to have him criminally charged.  However someone solves the immediate problem by murdering him.........I've read many of Louise Penny's mysteries and she is an excellent writer. ( I just wish I knew how to put in the required accents (circumflex and acute) to make the word Surete look French. So much I don't know about computers. :()

Edited by momac
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am reading A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny, a Canadian author, and it's so good, as are all her mysteries, that I could hardly put it down to come upstairs to go to bed.  The setting is a fictional village in Quebec called Three Pines, named after the three huge pine trees in the village, and the main character is Armand Gamache, former head of the Quebec Surete (police), and he has come out of semi-retirement to head up the Surete Academy.  His aim is to root out the corruption caused by the former head and set the new recruits on the right path. He hires back the former head who was the main corrupter with the idea that he could maybe get enough evidence to have him criminally charged.  However someone solves the immediate problem by murdering him.........I've read many of Louise Penny's mysteries and she is an excellent writer. ( I just wish I knew how to put in the required accents (circumflex and acute) to make the word Surete look French. So much I don't know about computers. :()

If you are using an iPad, press on the e and hold it down. All possibilities will appear and you can scroll to the one you want. I don't know how to do it on a PC.

Thanks Luna, I did the short review on my Desktop and pressing on the "e" just produces many more "e's" so I guess it doesn't work on this.  Will have a go on my IPad and check it out for future use.  

About to start Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. Binker and Dan enjoyed it and having just finished The Big Rock Candy Mountain I wanted to read more Stegner.

I enjoyed it too Momac. Although not a happy read it is less harrowing than The Big Rock Candy mountain. I hope that you enjoy it as much.

About to start Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. Binker and Dan enjoyed it and having just finished The Big Rock Candy Mountain I wanted to read more Stegner.

So glad to hear you are reading this.  I am well into The Spectator Bird and plan to read The Big Rock Candy Mountain later this year.  Dan and I had quite a lively discussion about Angle of Repose.  I hope you enjoy it.

I have just started Night Soldiers which is my first Alan Furst  espionage novel, the author recommended here by........(oh, sorry)

I think maybe Binker recommended it, she is an Alan Furst fan, I've read at least one of his books, he writes well.

It was me.  I'm  a big fan, especially of his earliest work.  He went through a little slump in the middle, but the recent ones have been very good, too.

Thanks Binker.  I think 'Night Soldiers' is his first and I'm well  into it.

Fool Me Once, Harlan Coben, a good American writer, sometimes writes with established characters, the good guys, and also writes standalones.  This is a stand........ They are mysteries with a twist to keep you guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Am reading Island in Waiting by Anthea Fraser, had read a mystery by her and liked her writing. This one is the paranormal genre centred on the Isle of Man, where Chloe goes to visit her brother and his wife for a short vacation. She begins to experience clairvoyant episodes and also finds herself during sleep experiencing past history of the island. I don't usually choose this type of book but it has me hooked although there are probably going to be some moments of horror and already a man has her in his thrall knowing that she would come to the island. Spooky and interesting, just the kind of book to read before bed!