Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

I had to give up on The Hundred Year Old Man.... print far too small! Now I'm away from home at the moment and stuck with In the Dark by Deborah Moggach although it has some good reviews on Amazon it's not hitting the spot yet. I think I'll have to find a book or charity shop in the morning.

Edited by Cassie

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just downloaded Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson - partly because it's the "gone the longest since any update thread in 20th Century Fiction" on here, but also, well, it's about planes and stuff! Why did I not know about this series and author before? :-S 

ETA The Kindle pricing is a little cynical though, the first in the series is £1.79, the remainder of the series £5.68 each!

Edited by waawo

Currently reading 'Ship of Magic' by Robyn Hobb, it's FANTASTIC!

I'm glad to hear you like it! It's one of the books I own but haven't read yet (along with some of her other books..)

Like quite a few others, currently reading Orlando - Virginia Woolf...

Seeing as I own this book I should try and read it sometime soon too..

A Study In Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. My first ever Sherlock Holmes novel. Never read even a short story and just watched one movie with mumbling Robert Downey Junior as Holmes and was left unimpressed. But, the novel is good so far. Loved the journal style of beginning the story by Dr. Watson.

I'm glad to hear you like it! I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes yet but have a few books about him.

I'm currently reading John Green - The Fault in Our Stars. I was on holidays for a while and read a couple of books on my Kindle while away.

I've finished Book One of 1Q84, but before embarking on Book Two I've taken a quick breather to read George Saunders's novella The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil. It is brilliant and it is bonkers. This man has an imagination like no one since the late, great Kurt Vonnegut.  

I'm still 'snacking' with my reading, crowbarring 5 or 10 minutes here and there while the little one sleeps and as long as my good lady wife has no requests to make. In this manner I have completed the first collection of Judge Dredd Comics (dating back to the late 70's and it showed). Comics seem to fit with my schedule at the moment, so I've begun the penultimate volumen in the Sandman series. It's called 'The Kindly Ones', written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by various talents. The covers are by Dave McKean too, which is always a wonderful bonus as he is one of my favourite illustrators.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally done it! I've found some time to sit and read. My wonderful daughter Delilah is beginning to sleep a little during the day instead of insisting on being, held/fed/rocked etc. This has given me small blocks of time to use wisely. Reading seems like the perfect activity to employ these pieces of time.

I've been using them well...

I've finished a light SF book called Leviathan Wakes (which I began the day before Delilah was born!) and moved onto the Bradley Wiggins autobiography, My Time. I've waited a year or so to get a little distance from his Tour win, which turned a passing interest in cycling into a near obsession. My Time is the start of a long list of cycling non-fiction I have to read, including a few books about the doping scandel and those involved in it. I don't cycle that much myself, so this new obsession might seem strange, but I'm facinated by the grand tours. 3 weeks of chess-like tactics and super physical and mental endurance. I want to know more about it, so I'm doing my best to learn.

I'm currently reading Stop What You're Doing and Read This! by various authors and Temple Grandin - The Way I See It. They're both non-fiction so I'm thinking of also starting a fiction book soon, since it's nice to read a story too rather than mainly information.

Is it perhaps A Street Cat Named Bob (How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets) by James Bowen? It's on my wishlist.

Thanks, Athena; it is indeed the title you mention. A fine and moving book that almost makes one think about putting some loose change into the guitar case of a down-and-out.  This one is a warm and compassionate human being and his devotion to the cat nigh on heroic. It's understandably ghost-written.

Have you read Sarah Bakewell's How to Live, a life of Montaigne in one questions and twenty attempts at an answer?  It's a superb book, very accessible and informative.

Not read that one yet, Viccie, but relish Montaigne as a Renaissance Man, though, as one might expect, bookish and steeped in the classics - though his own life is often found seeping through.

I am just about to finish "Isaac Asimov's Utopia" by Roger MacBride Allen. I have not enjoyed reading quite so much for a long time.  Reasons being:

1. I adore Isaac Asimov and everything he created.  (This novel tackles the insurmountable problems of humans and robots living together, and how the first of the 'three laws" that govern robots causes physical and psychological turmoil and planetary chaos.)

2. I was able to read slowly, at any time I felt like it, without feeling that I should be doing something else. Glorious!

3. I am looking forward to tracking down the first two of this trilogy, namely:  "Isaac Asimov's Caliban" and "Isaac Asimov's "Inferno".

My latest listen would also fit quite snugly on our recent thread on locations and reading. It is the first volume in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. As the name suggests, the books are set in the British capital and, as a resident of the city, it is filled with familiar place names. It is a good read, too.