Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

While I Was Gone - Sue Miller.

Bought this in a charity shop to while away the time when waiting for a lift.

It wasn't supposed to be my next book, but I'd started, so I thought I'd better finish.

Pan - Knut Hamsun, classic from 1894, suggested by our Norwegian book club member, her favourite author, our present RL book club read.

Currently reading:

A History of Modern Britain by Andrew Marr.

It's an interesting read but I find that he glosses over some things that I'd love to know more about and then spends ages labouring over some points that don't take my interest at all. However, it's certainly a great narrative introduction to modern British history and while there is certainly some bias, he does work hard to eliminate or at least bring some balance to his opinions :)

Also reading Snuff by Terry Pratchett. I'm a major discworld fan but for some reason I find it has taken me a very long time to read this book. Not sure why.

Dickens at Christmas (Vintage Classics), Charles Dickens. All his Christmas themed books. Bought before Christmas and not much progress so far but currently reading A Christmas Carol. It's a lovely book though, with a ribbon marker.

Ring world by Larry Niven. New Year resolution to read more sic-fi: there're loads of books dotted around the house that have created a kind of "to read pile" of their own...

I am reading a book that is everywhere just now, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

I resisted initially, thinking it might be quite twee. In fact, I am finding it quite moving.

I am reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. My son is reading it in school and I usually try to read the books my children are assigned. But I'm also enjoying it quite a bit. I think that it is considered a classic in science fiction.

It is Binker, also being made into a film. I've wanted to read it but have been put off Card's books purely because of his views on gay marriage. Reading a bit further up on him he's not as bad as I initially thought.

JDE, I was put off by the same thing and more than a little surprised that he was so active on the subject. But as with most people he's not all good or all bad. And I would deny myself a lot of good writers if I didn't read authors who didn't agree with me, especially male writers who hold unenlightened views on women's equality! :)

The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow - A.J. Mackinnon

This caught my eye when it was recommended for The Last Group Read of 2012.

I ordered it from the library straight away (on November 24th), and they got it in last week!

By which time I had completely forgotten all about it.

If the first chapter is a fair sample of what's to come, I think I will enjoy it.

Just read a book suggested by a very dear friend, an autobiography by Valerie Barnes who worked for the UN for most of her life: “A Foreign Affair. A Passionate Life in Four Languages