Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I'm currently reading 'The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency' and finding it a struggle to get into - will try to persevere as alot of people tend to rave about them but finding it hard and there so many other good books on my book shelf....

I'm about 100 pages into The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

Ditto - I am enjoying it, he is one of my favourites. We were teaching English in Japan around the same time (although I didn't know him) and have many of the same references.

Z

Hi,

I finished C.J. Sansom's new Shardlake novel, Heartstone, at around 12.30 last night. Just started, this morning before coming to work (yeah, I work every other Sunday), Karen Maitland's Company of Liars.

Loved the Shardlake! I'd been waiting ages for it to be published, and now it's read and gone, and I have to wait at least a couple of years for the next one. Brilliantly researched, richly detailed and utterly compelling. Wonderful story-telling in every way!

Best wishes,

Sam

Going away on a conference - and I've packed Miss Garnet's Angel to take with me. The blurb makes it sound intriguing, so I'm hopeful it will be good. My mother-in-law bought it for me as a birthday present a couple of months ago, and she's got a good track record of choosing things I enjoy.

I'm breaking up my course pre-reading with my RL book group's choice this month, To Kill A Mockingbird, which is one of those books I think I might have read in my teens but I honestly can't remember. It is mighty fine so far, though.

Textbooks and scholarly journal articles will dominate my reading life for the next year. I'm about a third of the way through "To Kill A Mockingbird" for my RL book group which meets next Thursday but feel rather guilty every time I pick it up. Think that will be the shape of life for the foreseeable future.

Decide to spend a few days where I didn't read anything except the daily newspapers - as a result of which I was bored stiff! - but now currently reading the Tenth Man by Graham Greene, which is excellent.

The Alchemist - PaulCoelho.

Mr meg found it in the street this morning, and it was sitting on the table when I paused from my labours in the garden for a cup of coffee. As I didn't have a book on the go already I picked it up and read a few pages.

Seems worth continuing with.

I started Sarah Silverman's autobiograhy, The Bedwetter, last night. Already it is very funny and makes me smile with virtually every line. She has made me hear her father's voice so clearly. It has been rattling around my head all day.

Started Jane Rogers' Promised Lands a few days ago, but have had to put it to one side as I'm having another migraine/vertigo spell which is aggravated by moving my eyeballs.

In the meantime I've started another audiobook: Ruth, by Elizabeth Gaskell

savage detectives - roberto bolano

i also added to this

i am not sidney poitier - percivel everitt (this is for home reading. save detectives is for work reading.)

now that characther's name is a candidate for the thread we have on daft names in the chat forums