Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Love that book, the film is also amazing

Nearly finished it Katrina and have enjoyed it so far. Didn't know there had been a film as well. How do they convey all the scents and odours on film?

Nearly finished it Katrina and have enjoyed it so far. Didn't know there had been a film as well. How do they convey all the scents and odours on film?

The films quite dark, with a kind of green hint to the whole thing. His reactions and passions and needs for the scents really create the impression of his obsession. Should be sure to check it out when you've finished readin g the book.

Hi,

I've been off work ill for a couple of days, and romped through the last 400 pages or so of The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox, finished it about 1.00 last night. What a flippin' brilliant piece of imaginative writing! Loved it, and ready for the sequel, The Glass of Time.

In the meantime, I've just started Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, which should tide me over until Sept 2nd, when the 5th Shardlake novel from C.J. Sansom comes out!

Cheers,

Sam

I'm now reading Moon Tiger and not too sure about it. I'm having trouble with the different perspectives and might just park it (stop reading and pick it up later) until I'm more inclined to deal with a new - to me - way of writing.

Am halfway through two books at the moment - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides which I am loving and Not Untrue and Not Unkind by Ed O'Loughlin which I am not loving.

Given the prevailing BGO opinion about celebrity biogs, I hardly dare admit this, but I am reading Chris Evans' biography.

I like his new Radio 2 persona and I am curious about his journey. I've had a bit of a reading drought lately and I need something undemanding to get me back into the habit. It's not bad at all.

I have decided to read something factual after what seems an eternity (2 months!) and am currently getting fascinated by John Guy's A Daughter's Love : Thomas and Margaret More. Read his book, My Heart is My Own : The Life of Mary Queen of Scots in 2008 and loved it.

My current, and probably final audiobook before I leave work and therefore my main opportunity to listen to books disappears is Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Shadow of the Wind".

Lady L and I have retreated to West Yorkshire for a week and it seemed a good opportunity to read one of the candidates for Greatest Living Yorkshireman (probably the greatest, if you ask Lady L), so I'm on the first of Alan Bennett's "Four Stories".

Although we're not far from Bronte country, I'm not in the mood for "Wuthering Heights" or similar, so we've made do with the Kate Bush CD I've brought with me :P.

I've just finished The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse. I've also read her latest The Bed I Made. I love the way she writes, it's very descriptive and she is brilliant at conveying a sense of claustraphobia in her novels.

I'm about a third of the way through The Time Traveller's Wife, a book which I had heard mentioned a lot but didn't know the first thing about! I didn't really know what to expect and given the sci-fi nature of time travel I didn't know if it was at all the sort of thing I would enjoy. I have to say that I am enjoying it a lot.

Hi,

I finished Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone on Monday (well, it was a Bank Holiday), reading the last 140 pages straight through. Wonderful! Definitely one for my 'favourite novels' list!

Just started Michael Cox's The Glass of Time, sequel to The Meaning of Night, which I read just before The Moonstone.

Bought a bunch of Wordsworth's classics yesterday (revamped covers, very nice!), from a local 'remaindered' bookshop: 3 for £5.00. I bought 6!. After The Glass of Time, I rather fancy some Dickens, possibly Our Mutual Friend. Reading Michael Cox and Wilkie Collins has really reinvigorated my fondness for Victorian novels.

See ya,

Sam

I've nearly finished Out Of Sheer Rage by Geoff Dyer. It's a kind of memoir of D.H.Lawrence, fitered through his own sensibility. I'm finding it serious and hilarious - it brings in philosophy, poetry and all sorts - it takes a lot to take me away from fiction but Geoff does it every time.

The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman. Up here in Lancashire we are surrounded by stories of the Pendle Witches - hence my interest in the title. This novel is about (supposed) witches in northern Germany in the early sixteenth century. Told through the eyes of one old woman accued of witchcraft it is quite good so far.