Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Started one of my holiday reads that I didn't get around to on my action-packed holiday: Skippy Dies by Paul Murray.

Skippy dies?

That can't be right, Skippy - tsk tsk tsk Skippy, there's a well eight miles from here and the stupid boy has fallen down it again and you'll have to come and rescue him and you'll need the doctor and a helicopter tsk tsk tsk - can't die he's Skippy! :D:D

Jen please don't give me shocks like that :)

Recently started the door-stopping 'The Dark Side of Love' by Rafik Schami. Enjoying it so far.
How's it going, LL? Don't know whether to jump into this novel or not. I'm in a permanent dithery mood when it comes to choosing novels this year.

Got two on the go just now: The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon, and Glennkill by Leonie Swann. The latter is a German sheep detective novel. Honest. It's a gently humorous crime novel which is the summer hit in Germany, and I'll be so proud of myself if I can finish a whole novel in German, even an easy one like this.

ETA: have just discovered that Glennkill is available in English as Three Bags Full. Aha. I may be tempted ...

This week I read...

People of the book by Geraldine Brooks and Her fearful symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger.

This week I am going for Richard III by Shakespeare and The Moonstone by Wilkie collins.

Have just started The Weight of Silence by Heather-something but it will have to wait as I will read the newest Sookie Stackhouse vampire book first - was lucky enough to grab it in the library this morning.

The Cone Gatherers, Robin Jenkins. Superb.
Isn't it. I have read this at least three times and enjoyed it every time.

Currently reading Sacred Country by Rose Tremain. Not at all what I expected it to be but superbly written IMHO.

Currently reading 'Sashenka' by Simon Montefiore. The author is better known as a historian and this is his first novel. I almost gave up on it at the start but am now about two-thirds of the way through and unable to put it down.

Luna, I hope you like it. I'm a little nervous, except that I've never met anyone who didn't like it and not everyone I know is from Texas. They are from lots of other places, too.

Luna, I hope you like it. I'm a little nervous, except that I've never met anyone who didn't like it and not everyone I know is from Texas. They are from lots of other places, too.
Only read a couple of pages, if that, but it's shaping up fine, Binker. I'm sure that I'll like it. :D

not everyone I know is from Texas.
I have friends in Texas, so hopefully I'll qualify to like this book!

Of course it would count. Texans are happy to accept even the most tenuous connections. But you don't need to have any Texas connection at all to enjoy the book.

Of course it would count. Texans are happy to accept even the most tenuous connections. But you don't need to have any Texas connection at all to enjoy the book.
Oh that's a relief, as the closest that I get to a connection to Texas is watching Houston SPCA on Animal Planet :D Then again, I did buy one of their albums .............. (one for the Glaswegians there)

I'm a couple of chapters into Catch 22. I'm a little dubious, because a friend recently read it as part of a reading challenge, and hated it, but so far, so good. It feels a little like M.A.S.H. - with the combination of military setting with the very dark, facetious humour.