Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of The Manticore, by Robertson Davies, with the third book in the Deptford Trilogy, World of Wonders, ready and waiting.

I was reading an interview with Christopher Brookmyre online the other day, from whom I learned of RD, and he talks enthusiastically about Neal Stephenson, especially The Baroque Cycle, but I understand one is best to read The Cryptonomicon first? That's the plan anyway......

Best wishes,

Sam

I have about 260 pages or so of "war and peace" left to read, Should be finished in a day or two. I think I might actually miss it when it's finished.

Next it's on to "the book theif" by marcus zsusak.

I read The Book Thief about a month ago. It left me very moved. I didn't pick up another book for several days, I wanted what I had experienced to settle into my consciousness. I think it's a book I shall return to again. Wonderful writing on every level.

Sam

I was reading an interview with Christopher Brookmyre online the other day, from whom I learned of RD, and he talks enthusiastically about Neal Stephenson, especially The Baroque Cycle, but I understand one is best to read The Cryptonomicon first? That's the plan anyway......

Best wishes,

Sam

That's probably true, Sam. I read "Cryptonomicon" before embarking on the Baroque Cycle. Although partly set during World War II and partly in the present day where the trilogy is 17th and 18th century, it does function as a kind of prequel. Some of its main characters are descendents of those featured in the Baroque Cycle.

You've certainly set yourself a serious reading challenge there, one which I confess I found I wasn't up to. "Cryptonomicon" is nearly 1,000 pages of densely written text, and the Baroque Cycle trilogy weighs in at about 2,700 in total. After "Cryptonomicon" I spent over 6 months getting through "Quicksilver", the Baroque Cycle's first volume, but stalled around page 350 of volume two, "The Confusion". That was 5 years ago, and it and the final part "The System of the World" still look back at me from the bookcase. One day, maybe, one day....

I'm reading 'perfume' by Patrick Suskind

it's actually quite dreary. Pages and pages of descriptions of scents and distillation processes. I'm just wondering when something is going to happen and when the main character is actually going to murder some young virgins..which is described on the front and back as what the book is apparently all about, yet he has only done one so far. And I am on page 209 of 295. It not badly written, just wish there was more of an interesting story going on.

I'm reading 'perfume' by Patrick Suskind

it's actually quite dreary. Pages and pages of descriptions of scents and distillation processes. I'm just wondering when something is going to happen and when the main character is actually going to murder some young virgins..which is described on the front and back as what the book is apparently all about, yet he has only done one so far. And I am on page 209 of 295. It not badly written, just wish there was more of an interesting story going on.

Hi Ariella, welcome to BGO. I have perfume waiting in my TBR pile, be a couple of months before I get round to reading it but will let you know how I found it.

I'm just wondering when something is going to happen and when the main character is actually going to murder some young virgins..which is described on the front and back as what the book is apparently all about
I suspect that the edition you are reading was published after the film, which made a much greater feature of the murders than the book does. I found it fascinating, but I wasn't looking for gory details.

Do continue to the end, you'll probably find that the best bit.

Here is its BGO thread

I read Perfume some years ago, for the first time, and again about 5 years ago. I enjoyed it very much, as the repeat read suggests. I found the film unwatchable, however. Definitely a Marmite thing - can't stand the stuff!

Tangentially, Patrick Susskind wrote a play about an orchestral double bass player in the '80s, I heard it on Radio 3 (BBC) at least a couple of times. Very amusing, completely different thing from Perfume: http://www.szeps.com/db.html

Sam

Halfway through "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet" by David Mitchell - one of those occasions where I'm finding it a struggle, while being in awe of the brilliant writing - I know I'll be glad I persevered when I get to the end.

I am a chapter and a half from the end of The Black Book, by Orhan Pamuk, so I think it's safe for me to say that I am reading it. I was worried I was not going to make it and then I'd have to shamefacedly confess to not finishing a book, etc. But it appears that I have made it. I will post on it, but as I said to a friend, "I have enjoyed it a lot, but it's been a lot of hard work."

This is a long weekend for us and although I know I need to get some work done, I'm awfully tempted to skip out early....

I've had a nostalgic weekend racing through some old Readers' Digest condensed books my mum found. Normally I wouldn't read abridged versions but these were my Grandad's and I used to read them when I went to stay with him.

Like LadyL above I too am having a fiction break: mine is with White Mughals by William Dalrymple

I thought this was an excellent book. Dalrymple told this history of love and intrigue with beautiful prose creating a real sense of time and place.

I'm also taking a brief swerve away from a 100% fiction reading diet and getting stuck into "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

Would love to hear your thoughts on that, Chuntzy

Will do, lbmc: it's quite chunky so be patient. I see that Tay has a good opinion of it.

I'm also taking a brief swerve away from a 100% fiction reading diet and getting stuck into "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.
A splendid book!

This is such a brilliant book. Written in Bryson's persuasive and easy to understand style. You find yourself amazed constantly, then of course if you've a brain like mine completely forget everything as soon as you turn the page. :)

It's kind of a Forth Road Bridge book, as soon as you get to the end you could start again.

Will do, lbmc: it's quite chunky so be patient. I see that Tay has a good opinion of it.
Absolutely. Yes, I saw that comment from Tay, I might just go ahead and get one anyway, I've been toying with the idea for ages.

Speaking of ages, I'm still reading Catherine de Medici: A Biography by Leonie Frieda. It is taking ages but it's fact filled and over 500 pages. I did manage The Rapture and Flashforward at the same time, so not neglecting my fiction.