Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Have just started The Vampire Diaries - volume one.

I know, I know. :o

I like to pepper my reading of the worthy with reading of the fluff. I am nothing if not eclectic.

Couldn't agree more. What do you think of the Vampire Diaries?

I've read them both as a teenager and an adult. I still like them...

Couldn't agree more. What do you think of the Vampire Diaries?

I've read them both as a teenager and an adult. I still like them...

Yeah, I'm enjoying it - should have the first 2 vols finished by this evening, if I get time. She's a good writer - nowhere near as cheesy/cliche-ridden as Meyer, but not as raunchy as Charlaine Harris (but they are teen books!)

Not sure I'll bother with the other vols until I find them in the chazza shops.

I shall pass this one on to my yr10 pupil who is into all the Twilight stuff - sure she'll love it. We've been discussing the tv series, an neither of us had read any of them.

Chourmo by Jean- Claude IZZO. It is the second book of the Marseilles Trilogy. I have the third book on standby and will review the lot together when I finish.

When that gets too much then I have just started Canterbury Tales by Chaucer as 'retold' by Peter Ackroyd- I just love the modern prose adaptation...

Yeah, I'm enjoying it - should have the first 2 vols finished by this evening, if I get time. She's a good writer - nowhere near as cheesy/cliche-ridden as Meyer, but not as raunchy as Charlaine Harris (but they are teen books!)

Not sure I'll bother with the other vols until I find them in the chazza shops.

I shall pass this one on to my yr10 pupil who is into all the Twilight stuff - sure she'll love it. We've been discussing the tv series, an neither of us had read any of them.

Not a fan of the T.V. series. Probably because I read these first. Only the first 3 volumes are worth bothering with. The rest are pants.

Just started John Banville's first crime novel, Christine Falls written under the pseudonym Benjamin Black. I loath John Banville both as a writer and a person so although the book is quite good I'm struggling to get beyond this.

Just started John Banville's first crime novel, Christine Falls written under the pseudonym Benjamin Black. I loath John Banville both as a writer and a person so although the book is quite good I'm struggling to get beyond this.
I'm curious why you picked up the book at all if John Banville inspires such negative emotions Jenmcd! I struggled with Christine Falls too, although it generally gets good press on the thread devoted to it.

I'm curious why you picked up the book at all if John Banville inspires such negative emotions Jenmcd! I struggled with Christine Falls too, although it generally gets good press on the thread devoted to it.

Probably just to reinforce my irrational prejudices. I'm actually enjoying it but am being more picky than usual over minor details.

The cricket season is here (along with cricketing weather - hurrah!) so my new audiobook is one that celebrates flanelled foolery. It is Michael Simkins' "Fatty Batter".

I started The Animal Factory by Edward Bunker last night. It's really not what I expected at all - I thought it would be a lurid prison pulp, much like Tim Willock's Green River Rising, but no, it's quite well-written and a little literary.

I (finally) started Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett last night. I think this'll be the first new book I've read in around 6 months so quite an achievement for me! So far it's pretty good, and I'm feeling hopeful that I'll finish it and not get distracted by work. If any author can keep me reading it should be Terry Pratchett!!

I (finally) started Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett last night. I think this'll be the first new book I've read in around 6 months so quite an achievement for me! So far it's pretty good, and I'm feeling hopeful that I'll finish it and not get distracted by work.

Ah, the first few years of teaching.

It does get better, Opal! I can read maybe two books between October and May! ;)

Ah, the first few years of teaching.

It does get better, Opal! I can read maybe two books between October and May! ;)

Oh I really hope it does!! I feel like I haven't had a break since September :( My enforced week off has done wonders for the reading though - managed another 20 or so pages last night, might finish this one by the summer holidays at this rate!!

Currently reading The White Queen - Philippa Gregory :D

Loved her Tudor Court Novels...And this one which I believe is the first book in a new series called 'The Cousins War', looking at the families that preceeded the Tudors. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

I'm not far into it, but I can feel it's dangerous pull already...I fear it's going to be a long ole day and night with this one :D

The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters

This is the first book I've read by this author, and it was a totally opportunistic purchase. Saw it in a library sale for 20p.

Halfway through and not feeling that my money was wasted ;)