Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Just started The Rehearsal by Eleanor Caton - an impulse buy in the train station.

Oh, Mm, I just bought this too, on impulse, after hearing a persuasive American podcast about the book. Keep me posted.

Will do!

I've been wondering about this too. Looking forward to your comments.

Just started The Spa Decameron by Fay Weldon.

I've abandoned Wolf Hall and started The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paulo Giordano. The title alone was enough to draw me to the book but now I've started it I'm finding it very compelling.

I've just read the Dante Club by Matthew Pearl and I'm starting Cat's eye by Margaret Atwood. I've read Alias Grace and The Blind Assassin and loved them so I said i'd give this a try.

Have three books on the go at the moment. In bed - Chicago by Alaa Al Aswany. Downstairs - Sovereign by C.J. Sansom and as this proved too cumbersome to read when cuddling my two year old I also started Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith.

Am reading Marilynne Robinson's Home for RL book club. Mixed feelings at the moment but I'll be patient.

Have made a good start on Suite Francaise and am enjoying it so far. Mount TBR is shrinking - how can this be? Have ordered Solar to restore teetering heights....Zebra

Started two new books in the last 24 hours, "Waterland" by Graham Swift, which has been lurking on my shelves for years, and on audiobook, Terry Pratchett's "Nation".

Just received my copy of the latest Canongate read, Ghosts and Lightning by Trevor Byrne and looking forward to getting started.

Me too! In fact, I've read a couple of chapters already.

Haven't looked at this thread for ages - loads of catching up to do.

Having loved The Music of Chance and Leviathan, I am wondering whether to give up on the third Auster in my trilogy, Mr Vertigo. It's well enough written, but (and this isn't a spoiler as it's announced from early on) it's about a boy who levitates. Now I know Auster is way, way too intelligent to just do a silly fantasy so there will be allegories and metaphors and so on, with the walking on water/levitating standing in for something else. But I just can't cope with it. He writes so credibly and his characters are so plausible that I just can't play along with the walking on water bit. And Auster's also far too wise and original to go for a hackneyed trick like the old 'and then he woke up and it had all been a terrible dream' thing, or anything similar (eg madness, delusion, etc). Has anyone reading this read Mr Vertigo, and is it worth finishing?

Have put Ghosts and Lightning to the side for now and have started Curtis Sittenfield's American Wife. I felt like a good big chunky story.

I read this last year Mm, and it was a very satisfying, solid read. Now, if you had asked me, did I want to read an account of the life of Laura Bush I would have told you to get on your bike, but well-written fiction can take you down some odd paths. It could probably have done with a little editing but I never felt like giving up.

I'm reading War & Peace - simply because it's on my list of things to do before I'm 30...so I have until August to finish it.

And when I'm after something lighter, I'm also reading The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory. I enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl so hopefully this one will be as good. :)

I'm reading one that I picked up at a market...It was one of those random...I'll give it a go and see if it's any good type books.

The Perfect Husband - Lisa Gardner

I believe it's a crime/thriller type book which I have only just gotten into...I usually read more fantasy style books...David Eddings and so on.

So far it's good...

xxxx

I read this last year Mm, and it was a very satisfying, solid read. Now, if you had asked me, did I want to read an account of the life of Laura Bush I would have told you to get on your bike...

Eek, I didn't know that is who it is based on. Is it very true to life? Did all the Andrew stuff really happen?

I've just got to the proposal (not really a spoiler, given the title!), and I'm trying hard not to imagine Dubya in the hunky boyfriend role...

Eek, I didn't know that is who it is based on. Is it very true to life? Did all the Andrew stuff really happen?

I've just got to the proposal (not really a spoiler, given the title!), and I'm trying hard not to imagine Dubya in the hunky boyfriend role...

Don't know about the Andrew stuff, but she was a democrat and a children's librarian and married against type. Best not to know too much!