Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Just in the middle of reading my next-but-one book club read: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

Currently 'reading' The End Of Mr Y on audiobook. It is due back at the library tomorrow, and will cost £2 to renew it.

Reluctant as I am to abandon it halfway through, I've not enjoyed much of it and certainly not enough to pay out any more money.

Reading and enjoying The Secret Lives of Somerset Maugham by Selina Hastings which is turning out to be an excellent biography and making me want to purchase a copy of his collected short stories.

Currently 'reading' The End Of Mr Y on audiobook. It is due back at the library tomorrow, and will cost £2 to renew it.

Reluctant as I am to abandon it halfway through, I've not enjoyed much of it and certainly not enough to pay out any more money.

£2 does sound like a lot of money. Ours are only 60p!

I've just had a look for you on the Overdrive link. Overdrive is a company who provide e-books and audio books electronically. Hampshire have just launched the service, but Essex have been doing it for ages. The End of Mr Y is available in Hampshire, so I'm sure you can get it with your Essex option too, Meg. You should be able to put the file onto an MP3 player, or copy it on to CD - it will magically disappear after a fortnight though as you are only borrowing it from Overdrive. Their Essex page is http://essex.bookaisle.com/9EE204F0-187C-42BB-8091-6649420B2A6D/10/259/en/Default.htm

And to keep on topic - I can't seem to settle to anything at the moment, so have been catching up with the paper supplements and journals I've not read in the last few months.

I'm just about to start reading Stephen Kings new novel "under the dome". Has anyone read it? Is it any good? I've read a few of his older books and liked a few but his modern work doesn't seem to be as good.

I'm just about to start reading Stephen Kings new novel "under the dome". Has anyone read it? Is it any good? I've read a few of his older books and liked a few but his modern work doesn't seem to be as good.
I started it a few nights ago and so far it falls in the side of 'good' King...

The Book Of Ebenezer Le Page by GB Edwards.

This is a rare re-read. I read it first in the 1980s, and it has remained in my memory as a special book even thoughthe details have long faded.

Just one chapter in, and the magic is already working. :D

Having read a measly 3 books in December (and one of those was on CD), I've surpassed myself today by reading Last of the High Kings by Kate Thompson, and the first 50 pages of Outcast by Sadie Jones. Both books are from the TBR box, so a good start to the year, I think!

...erm, nothing!

After being ill for over a week, during which time I read nothing but what a friend described as "the literary equivalent of eating McDonalds'", I can't find anything that seems right.

I've picked up and abandoned three books now, and nothing on the TBR pile is appealing to me.

Unfortunately, none of the books on my Christmas wishlist materialized, despite numerous unsubtle hints.

Does anyone else have these moments?

...erm, nothing!

After being ill for over a week, during which time I read nothing but what a friend described as "the literary equivalent of eating McDonalds'", I can't find anything that seems right.

I've picked up and abandoned three books now, and nothing on the TBR pile is appealing to me.

Unfortunately, none of the books on my Christmas wishlist materialized, despite numerous unsubtle hints.

Does anyone else have these moments?

Oh yeah. I've spent the best part of 10 days feeling ill and not reading much, with nothing really appealing to me. Even although I want to read. I didn't have a Christmas wishlist to drop heavy hints about, because buying me books somehow went out of fashion. I can't really moan, somebody else has been doing the majority of the chores on their own while I've been recuperating - and watching rubbish TV!

I am reading To the Edge of the World, which was called This Thing of Darkness when it was first published in the U.K. and I love it. It's in 3 volumes (I think it may have been published originally as one long book) and I am about half way through the second volume.

At the weekend I started my RL reading group book for January, which is "Gorky Park" by Martin Cruz Smith.

I liked it a lot too, Jenmcd. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you've finished it.

Finished Red Dog, Red Dog by Patrick Lane which started off very well, with his poetic, striking language, but became a little rambling and long-winded.

Then read Paul Auster's The Brooklyn Follies - very good, review to follow soon hopefully. And Charles Bukowski's book of poems The Pleasures of the Damned - review just posted in poetry section. Now to finally read Colm Toibin's Brooklyn, which recently won the Costa Best Novel prize.

Started reading The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt last night - a Christmas present from someone who obviously doesn't know me very well. Having glanced at the thread here I am even less enthusiastic about it. As I can't face the thought of 600+ pages with no respite I am mixing it up with Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde.

Had just begun John Williams' Stoner before I was summonsed to the library to collect An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah which I had ordered ages ago.

Will have to interrupt Stoner to read it because Elegy has just won an award and someone will be wanting it; I can't sit on it and pretend that it is my book to read whenever I'm ready (I sometimes feel that the library is my own private fiefdom to roam through and plunder at will, so having to read something quickly kind of shatters my delusions).

As I slip-slided through Highbury Fields to my book-palace I reflected that I would only risk breaking a limb for books or food, in that order, and perhaps to save the life of a child ;)

Had just begun John Williams' Stoner before I was summonsed to the library to collect An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah which I had ordered ages ago.

Will have to interrupt Stoner to read it because Elegy has just won an award and someone will be wanting it; I can't sit on it and pretend that it is my book to read whenever I'm ready (I sometimes feel that the library is my own private fiefdom to roam through and plunder at will, so having to read something quickly kind of shatters my delusions).

As I slip-slided through Highbury Fields to my book-palace I reflected that I would only risk breaking a limb for books or food, in that order, and perhaps to save the life of a child ;)

:-)

I do love libraries. Like you, brightphoebus, I become so used to being able to renew books over and over that when a book is on a limited loan it seems quite a shock.

I've had my current batch of library books for about 6 months and just phone once a month to renew them. Because the library are so accommodating about renewal, I don't have any sense of urgency re tackling them.

Let us know what the books you're reading are like, brightphoebus.