Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Just started Bloomsbury Ballerina - the life of Lydia Lopokova, who was a Russian ballerina and the wife of John Maynard Keynes. Great holiday reading - some exotic locations, some culture, some strange rich intellectuals.

Enjoying Rachel Lichtenstein's On Brick Lane - the fascinating story of east London's most famous street which mirrors changes across the country.

Enjoying Rachel Lichtenstein's On Brick Lane - the fascinating story of east London's most famous street which mirrors changes across the country.
Chuntzy, I made a note of this book and would dearly like to read it. Trouble is the lure of the many fiction books I have lined up to read. The non-fiction books always seem to get elbowed aside.

I'm in need of a cheerful read, so have gone for Jools Holland's autobiography Barefaced Lies & Boogie-woogie Boasts. I very rarely read autobiographies, but my husband was roaring with laughter while reading this last month so I thought I'd give it a go. First paragraph had me chuckling, so it's already doing the trick :)

Started Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk but had to put it back on the shelf - just can't get my head round his writing style in this one - or the subject matter.

Now starting Snuff by the same author. Not much more palatable subject wise but so much easier to read. Whether I finish it or not is another matter.

Picked up The Last Days of Newgate by Andrew Pepper (his first published novel) at the library on Tuesday and am really enjoying it. Put Snuff on hold in favour of it anyway.

I discovered an unread novel by Hilary Mantel on my bookshelf last night and decided to give it a go.

No, not Beyond Black, I can't work up any enthusiasm for reading that one, but one of her early ones,

Vacant Possession.

On Fantastic Fiction it says

In a novel that is wildly funny and daringly wicked, Mantel brings the full force of her black humor to bear on a cast of characters that is by turns wacky and malevolent.
so I'm hoping it will put me back into reading mode. The first few pages look promising.

I started Siobhan Dowd's Solace of the Road the other night. It's not grabbing me as much as Bog Child did, but I need to get stuck in to it and not 5 minutes here and there.

the 19th Wife by David Ebershoff about the Mormons - written from 2 different time points - very enjoyable so far.

I read this recently and enjoyed it but far preferred the bits in the past to the present day story arc.

I ended up feeling a great sense of loss for the women who lived a one among many. to be loved for such a short period of time and then abandoned but unable to move on and love again, felt so alien and so lonely it made me quite bitter towards the idea of intimation (which what it is).

But i also felt sorry for the men who only wanted one wife and were forced to take another and another. It seemed very manipulative along the vein that the more of us who did this the more real the faith would become.

Just started The Winter Vault by Anne Michaels. I love Fugitive Pieces and this is her first novel in 12 years, so high hopes ...

Zebra

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts when you're done, I loved Fugitive Pieces too.

the 19th Wife by David Ebershoff about the Mormons - written from 2 different time points - very enjoyable so far.

I'd be interested to hear your thuoghts on this. I got this out from the library a few weeks ago but I abandoned it. I found that I enjoyed it when reading the story set in the modern day - but I had no interest whatsoever in the historical story, if that makes sense.

I'm currently reading Testimony by Anita Shreve.

Finished Twilight in 3 days and now reading New Moon.

I read the quadrilogy, JD, and out of the four, I have only kept the first 2 on my shelves. Enjoy - but you may want to stop at New Moon!

Trying to summon up enthusiasm for my local book group's current read, Wish You Well, by David Baldacci. Not my sort of novel, or writer, at all.

I've been waiting for my copy of How to Paint a Dead Man to arrive for absolutely yonks.

It arrived today and now I'm really torn becuase I had just broken the spine of Marilynn Robinson's Home and can't decide whether to stick with that (it's prequel is one of my favourite ever books) or go on to one that's on this year's Booker longlist.

Oh the decisions we readers have to make.

Managed to get through Mantel's Vacant Possession quite quickly, and on that basis have decided that a return to shorter undemanding books such as that might get me back into the habit of reading, and after a few 'snacks' I might feel more in need of something a bit more sustaining.

So, the next one is to be Wycliffe and the Redhead by WJ Burley

Im currently reading Snatched by Mandasue Heller.

This is a new author to me, found the book just browsing the shelves of Morrisons would you believe and just cant put it down.

Its written on the same storylines as Martina Cole so if you are a fan of Martina then you will enjoy this book :)

Twinkle xx

Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh.

Published in 1956 this novel is about the Partition. This is from the first page.

"Muslims said the Hindus had planned and started the killing. According to the Hindus, the Muslims were to blame. The fact is, both sides killed. Both shot and stabbed and speared and clubbed. Both tortured. Both raped."