Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

Is this series really that good? I can't help feeling that it's hype over substance and I don't want to risk shelling out money.

Hazel, I think it is. I'm not one for hyping as I've fallen victim to thinking something will be the best thing since sliced bread, only to find that it was stale. However, I love this series and cannot wait for the UK release of the third. I have the first one, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and would be only too happy to send it to you. Then if we have over-hyped it, at least you won't have spent any money. I would need to get it from my mum's so there may be a slight delay. Send me a PM with your address if you fancy it.

I'm halfway through Anita Shreve's Testimony.

It's quite interesting in the way it uses multiple narrators. I'm quite partial to an Anita Shreve now and then - for some reason, I like her north -east USA settings, a part of the world I've never been to but would like to visit.

G-d bless the library service. From the bowels of my London borough's stores, they've produced a copy of the late Raymond Carver's long out of print "Fires", which I started reading yesterday.

As is the way with Carver's bibliography, there is stuff here that has appeared elsewhere, such as "So Much Water So Close To Home", one of his finest stories and the basis for the film "Jindabyne" and versions of "Distance" and "The Calm" which appear in "Where I'm Calling From".

I've never read any of his non-fiction. The two essays I've read from the book so far, one the closest he ever came to writing autobiography ("My Father's Life") the other his own philosophy of writing ("On Writing") deserve to be more widely known. These can also be found in "Call If You Need Me: The Uncollected Fiction and Prose", but this also isn't widely available.

The bibliographical information comes from http://www.carversite.com/.

I have the first one, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and would be only too happy to send it to you. Then if we have over-hyped it, at least you won't have spent any money. I would need to get it from my mum's so there may be a slight delay. Send me a PM with your address if you fancy it.
That's a very kind offer Radders, but as I was walking through town yesterday, I popped into Borders and picked up the Dragon book for £2.99. Not much wasted if I don't like it! Thank you again for the offer though.

That's a very kind offer Radders, but as I was walking through town yesterday, I popped into Borders and picked up the Dragon book for £2.99. Not much wasted if I don't like it! Thank you again for the offer though.

I'm reading the Dragon book now. It is one of the few books I've not heard a bad word about, and 250 pages in I can see why.

No problem at all. £2.99 well spent IMHO. I hope you enjoy and the hype hasn't given it too much to live up to.

I'm reading 'Winter's Bone' by Daniel Woodrell. People keep mentioning him as an author I'd be sure to like and I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this. It's very, very good. (Some lines of description, like 'hands good as tongues in the dark corner of those whiskey moments' are shiveringly apt.)

I'm reading 'Winter's Bone' by Daniel Woodrell. People keep mentioning him as an author I'd be sure to like and I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this. It's very, very good. (Some lines of description, like 'hands good as tongues in the dark corner of those whiskey moments' are shiveringly apt.)
I saw from your signature that you were reading this - it's a great book. I loved it. I can't find a thread on it even though I am sure that I did post about it. I just recently read his The Death Of Sweet Mister and to be honest it is just as good as WB.

Hmmm, it may well be. I was sure I had written about Winters' Bone, and it was well after the 'crash'.

ETA - Yes, I read it in 2008, and gave it 4 stars -

27. Winter's Bone, Daniel Woodrell ****

My book for my RL book group this month is Philip Roth's "The Human Stain". I'm hoping I can double up and use it for the Jewish group I run as well.

Just started 'Managing the Undead' (not the best title). By the author of 'Let the Right One In'... I hardly noticed the two hour train journey as I demolished 120 pages of it.

Its simply fabtastic.

Currently reading "The Alchemist's Code" by Dave Duncan - some sort of historical fiction mystery/thriller set in old old Venice and starring Nostradamus as the main detective character somehow. Not serious fiction in the least, but it's a fun and decently engrossing read so far (only about halfway through) plus I love all the exotic old historical descriptions! Anyone else read this or other books by this author? He's brand new to me, just picked it up on a whim...

The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard - a novel about reading! Intriguing story about two closely related groups of people who can influence people either by the way they read out loud to others, or by accessing the thoughts of silent readers and manipulating the way they read! I know it sounds weird but it is a very readable book - at the moment anyway.

The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard - a novel about reading! Intriguing story about two closely related groups of people who can influence people either by the way they read out loud to others, or by accessing the thoughts of silent readers and manipulating the way they read! I know it sounds weird but it is a very readable book - at the moment anyway.
OOOH, and it includes a magic trigger word in the title - do post more when you've finished!

Wasn't impressed by Patrick McCabe's The Holy City.

Now started Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed, his third novel. I really liked both his previous ones and so far this one's great.