Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

This is one of my favourites, ottilie. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Finished! Is there already a thread somewhere for The Bone People? I'll have a search when I've got a bit more time.

Thread here fot The Bone People.

Unfortunately we lost an earlier thread on it in a major crash of the site (you may have seen mention of 'restored threads' as you have explored the forums), and we couldn't get those posts back.

Started two new books over the weekend:

"Maximum Bob" by Elmore Leonard. So far, he hasn't broken any of his 10 rules.

and on audiobook:

"Theft: A Love Story" by Peter Carey

I've been twiddling my thumbs, awaiting the arrival of my Amazon order, not wanting to start anything else until it arrives.

I knew the package was due to arrive today, stayed in until 2 pm but had to go out. You can guess what happened next.

The only day I can commit to being in all day to receive the re-delivery is Friday, so now have another 4 days to wait :mad:

I'll have to scour the shelves for something to keep me amused in the meantime, or continue revisiting all our Calvin and Hobbes books!

Finally got my hands on a copy of Beware of God by Shalom Auslander - had to get our local library to get an inter-library loan. Was inspired to read this by the reviews here from Grammath and Co. Read the first story over a cup of tea in town today and laughed out loud! :o

now reading 'House of Mystery'
I started this a good few weeks ago, but couldn't get into it. I think it was more me than the book. Let us know what you thought.

Started two new books over the weekend:

"Maximum Bob" by Elmore Leonard. So far, he hasn't broken any of his 10 rules.

and on audiobook:

"Theft: A Love Story" by Peter Carey

I liked Theft, Grammath.

(By the way, happy birthday! I haven't been on the HP thread for ages but saw on my weekly facebook birthday notification that it's your bd soon.)

Started The Secret History by Donna Tartt today. Missed out on it when it came out, although I loved her follow up, The Little Friend.

I liked Theft, Grammath.

(By the way, happy birthday! I haven't been on the HP thread for ages but saw on my weekly facebook birthday notification that it's your bd soon.)

Started The Secret History by Donna Tartt today. Missed out on it when it came out, although I loved her follow up, The Little Friend.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, leyla.

I like some of "Theft", but Hugh for me isn't a convincing narrator at all. Having a younger brother with autism, I'm perhaps hypercritical of authors who attempt to capture the voices of characters with mental health issues and for me, Carey hasn't done a good job with Hugh. I'm less than half way through, so there's still time for that assessment to change. The Butcher bits, on the other hand, are much more entertaining.

If you liked "The Little Friend", leyla, you're going to love "The Secret History". For my money, it is much the better book.

I'm really interested to know what you think of Stardust- find the relevant thread when you're done, pur-leeeeease! :)

I have been unable to find a thread specifically for Stardust and do not feel I could do it justice if I were to begin a thread. How about you begin one Ottlie and I will post a reply?

do not feel I could do it justice if I were to begin a thread.
Bella, you don't have to post a long review when you open a thread - just a few lines to say that you enjoyed/hated the book and then let the discussion carry on. Please do not feel compelled to write a long reviews - just your thoughts is more than enough.

"Kiss of the spider woman" by Manuel Puig. Enjoying it so far.

Just finished "do androids dream of electric sheep." By Phillip K Dick. hated it! I am not a big sci fi fan.

(I am working through set texts for an open uni course in October.)

(I am working through set texts for an open uni course in October.)

Would that be the 20th Literature course? How far on are you in your OU degree ennui?

I have been unable to find a thread specifically for Stardust and do not feel I could do it justice if I were to begin a thread. How about you begin one Ottlie and I will post a reply?

I thought there already was one :confused:

I can start one if you like, but I won't have much time to comment. Anything to distract me from packing! ;)

Would that be the 20th Literature course? How far on are you in your OU degree ennui?

yes. this will be my fourth year. just waiting for aa316 results.

Cool, good luck with that! Did you enjoy AA316? I think that was my favourite year.

Cool, good luck with that! Did you enjoy AA316? I think that was my favourite year.

yes I am missing it already. I have developed a liking for sensation fiction. And learned to appreciate more authors.

Another Open Literature student! AA316 rings a bell: remind me what it is; I think I may have done it.

[Edit] Just found out, via a google: 'The 19th Century novel'. i did do it. I loved it, but there was a hell of a lot of reading to do. I was damn glads I took a year off from my studies before it, which enabled me to read some of the novels. I concluded that 'Mme Bovary' is one of my least favourite novels ever; what a horrible, deeply unpleasant book!

I concluded that 'Mme Bovary' is one of my least favourite novels ever; what a horrible, deeply unpleasant book!
Awww, I loved that. The only book I absolutely hated during my entire OU degree was Fathers & Sons by Ivan Turgenev.

The Death and Life of Dith Pran by Sydney H. Schanberg.

Just got home from Cambodia and we were shown where the Killing Fields were and also visited Mekong Town where the US bombed the town by mistake.