Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I'm about to start The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson.

This is the second of three books he wrote before his untimely death of a heart attack at the age of 50. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and recommend it to everyone.

Since I loved Possession, I looked it up. Sounds just as interesting. Let us know how you like it.

Just reading Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Roméo Dallaire

You'll have to start a thread about Shake Hands with the Devil when you've finished it, Momo, I remember talking about it on BGO some time ago (maybe years ago...) but I can't find a thread for it now, if I did write a proper thread about it it must have been lost. I still remember parts of it vividly though, and whenever a UN peace mission or UN forces are mentioned on the news I wonder if they are as shockingly under-resourced as the soldiers he was in charge of.

, I remember talking about it on BGO some time ago (maybe years ago...) but I can't find a thread for it now, if I did write a proper thread about it it must have been lost..
Well, there's this, but it's just a recommendation and a copy of the Amazon review, not your thoughts after finishing it.

I am half way through "The Monk" by Mathew Lewis.

I am really enjoying it. It's a surprisingly good book. :P There is alot of self mockery going on in it, and a few subtle digs at critics :cool: . I love the story within a story side of it too. Glad I let curiosity get the better of me.

(yes I came to it after studying Northanger Abbey lol.)

I'll be starting Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago at lunchtime
I'd be interested to know your thoughts on that FirelightSpirit, whenever you finish reading it (I know it's a long one!). I've never seen the film and was toying with the idea of just reading the book myself.

Luna

I'm currently reading Q and A by Vikas Swarup, which is the book that Slumdog Millionaire is based on. I saw the film first and then a friend lent me the book. I think it is clear that the film was 'based' on the book rather than being a film OF the book, because so far the similarities are few and far between. I am enjoying it though, and I'm only a short way in.

I've also just started The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1) by Jonathan Stroud. A colleague and I have just read the entire Harry Potter series in the space of a few months and we were looking for something to fill the magical void.

Taking Sarah Waters' latest, The Little Stranger, nice and steadily.

Let me know what you think of this Chuntzy. I bought it last week and plan to read it on holiday next to the swimming pool.

Phoebus

I'm reading The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas someone (?Evans) So far it is ruined by already having seen the film and having scenes from it floating back to memory at certain points. When I saw the film, years ago, I don't think I even knew it was a book! I usually refuse to see a film until I have read the book and then after much hesitation, usually then refuse to see the film anyway in case it is rubbish and ruins the book for me! Hence why I still haven't seen The Girl With The Pearl Earring.

Started The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker this morning. Never read him before, and too early to have formed any opinion, other than the prose reads lightly.

I'm 2/3 of the way through The Bone People by Keri Hulme. A friend loaned it to me about 18 months ago and it's sat on the shelf ever since, but eventually the guilt overcame me!

After a shaky start when I thought I was going to have to abandon it, I'm now utterly gripped.

Off to read some more!

I'm currently some way in to 'Titus Groan', the first of the 'Gormenghast' trilogy by Mervyn Peake. This is a re-reading: I first read the trilogy about 10 years ago.

What I like, apart from all the usual stuff like rounded and memorable characterisation and such-like, is the richness and inventiveness of the language: Peake hardly ever uses a stale metaphor, and all his freshly-minted metaphors are absolutely appropriate. Mind you, it can get a bit wearing, like eating Christmas pudding every day: you can find yourself longing for a good, thumping cliche.

Genre-wise, a bit sui generis: fantasy, I suppose, but there are no supernatural elements, as far as I remember from the first reading.

I'm 2/3 of the way through The Bone People by Keri Hulme. A friend loaned it to me about 18 months ago and it's sat on the shelf ever since, but eventually the guilt overcame me!

After a shaky start when I thought I was going to have to abandon it, I'm now utterly gripped.

This is one of my favourites, ottilie. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
I'm currently some way in to 'Titus Groan,
I recently laid Gormenghast aside after about 140 pages, but reading your thoughts has made me want to pick it up again, after I finish Doctor Zhivago, that is.

Just started Other People's Daughters: The Life and Times of the Governess by Ruth Brandon. I picked it up in a Buy One, Get One Free in Waterstones. The other books on offer were less enticing, though.

I'm also reading 'Ignatius his Conclave' by John Donne, a short prose satire, a scurrilous attack on the Jesuits, set in Hell, where Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, is Satan's second-in-command. It's quite amusing. Very short, so I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

Reading and enjoying Margaret Drabble's recently published The Pattern in the Carpet: A Personal History with Jigsaws