Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

currently

johnaton frantzen - corrections

laurence rees - behind closed doors

jorge luis borges - labryinths

I read Damon Galgut's "The Quarry" while I was away last week, then started Patricia Highsmith's "The Talented Mr. Ripley" last night.

I've also started dipping into the Penguin Modern Classics edition of selected George Orwell Essays.

I read Damon Galgut's "The Quarry"
I've had that sitting on the shelves for ages, recently joined by Galgut's The Imposter in hardback - I loved The Good Doctor so much I keep buying, and curiously not reading, Galgut's work.

I loved The Good Doctor too, Hazel. Let us know how The Quarry was, Grammath.

Started Sarah Hall's How to Paint a Dead Man which is surprisingly good so far. I say surprisingly because I read Ishiguro's Nocturnes just before, and I'm finding this a better book.

I started Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice on Saturday, but was too engrossed to access the forums and state such a thing. Having finished that, I am now reading Long Lost by Harlan Coben.

My new audiobook is "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters. It is once again narrated by Juanita McMahon, who did an excellent job with Waters' "Affinity", which I listened to last year. At 20 CDs, it should keep me occupied for a while.

I'm struggling with Gormenghast. I'm 140 pages in and am not finding it to my taste. I'm not abandoning it, but I think if I had a longer space in which to read it, I might get on better with it, so I'm going to read it over the weekends when I'm at home. I think it's well written, but I hope there's a point to it, though I suspect there may not be. Will persevere.

My commute read is now Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon.

I started James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner to accompany my current read. It's supposed to be a bit of light relief and has turned out to be slightly more effort than that but am enjoying it all the same so will carry on.

Luna

My commute read is now Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon.

Ooh, I loved that book FLS, absolutely loved it - let us know what you think of it.

I'm struggling with Gormenghast. I'm 140 pages in and am not finding it to my taste. I'm not abandoning it, but I think if I had a longer space in which to read it, I might get on better with it, so I'm going to read it over the weekends when I'm at home. I think it's well written, but I hope there's a point to it, though I suspect there may not be. Will persevere.

No, there really isn't. Honestly.

Re-reading The Women's Room by Marilyn French for my RL bookgroup. First read almost exactly 20 years ago as a student. I was worried it would have lost its power over the intervening years, but it is as strong and moving and thought-provoking as it was then.

z

Just started Scottsboro by Ellen Feldman.

Good so far - a bit reminiscent of In Cold Blood crossed with To Kill a Mockingbird. (I hope they never put that on the cover ...)

Just started Scottsboro by Ellen Feldman.

Good so far - a bit reminiscent of In Cold Blood crossed with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Ooh, just the right words to pique my interest!

Just started Company of Liars by Karen Maitland. It is set in the 14th Century and is about the plague! It's started well so I am hopeful.

Just started Company of Liars by Karen Maitland. It is set in the 14th Century and is about the plague! It's started well so I am hopeful.
That's my RL bookgroup choice this month which I'll have to start soon.