Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I did start the Susan Hill book at the weekend, but dove right into the book that David gave me for my burpday today, Stefan Brijs The Angel Maker. It is very good so far, a nice, macabre, fairytale spun story. I am sure Ms Hill won't mind - she'll understand the pull of a good book gifted.

Started Elizabeth's Spy Master by Robert Hutchinson this week. I thought at first I wasn't going to like it because it uses so many quotes, but it's growing on me.

I'm on a Carol Goodman streak at the moment, I finished The Drowning Tree recently and have just started The Seduction of Water.

By the way Firelightspirit A Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson is the same book as A Countess Below Stairs - whichever title they're both huge fun.

Just read Engleby by Sebastian Faulks, it was okay..... but I guessed too much too soon, the 'story' was too transparent and shallow. The writing of the character and the exploration of a broken mind was very intriguing and compelling. It's not a 'fun' read but I got soemthing from it, which is all I ask in a book.

I am now reading some short stories written by some friends of mine while working on a chapter of a novel. I will be reading (again) Karen Miller's Innocent Mage, Awakened Mage duology(They are WELL worth a second read.)

Paul M.

I'm now into the second book in her (Olivia Manning's) Balkan Trilogy entitled The Spoilt City.

I'm so involved that I'm wanting to shout 'get out while you can' as in 1940 the Axis powers have the upper hand but still in Bucharest Guy and the other British ex-pats are planning the syllabus for the summer school at University there (bless 'em).

I know loads of people who think The Book Thief is "the best book ever" and found it "uplifting and touching", but for me it dragged on far too long, got bogged down in pretentious description and was far too American and sentimental.

Sorry. Needed to get that off my chest.

Just started Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast Trilogy

I have this "on loan" from a friend who couldn't get into it. Tell me what you think as I have never managed to get very far.....

My current read is the Cannongate book The Gathering Night

Currently reading "One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson and thoroughly enjoying it. The two Atkinson books I've read this year have been by far the best books I've read for a while, which is a bit sad really.

I enjoyed Gormenghast, but only after I'd seen it dramatized on the telly so I knew what to expect. It's a whole different world that you have to get into.

Dunno if this is strictly 'currently reading' given that I started it this afternoon and finished it this evening - between one thing and another - but I can't seem to find a 'Books read in May' type thread and don't want to start one in case it's my ineptitude!

Anyway, Ian Rankin A Cool Head. Part of the Quick Reads series published to encourage people who don't like long books for whatever reason, to read. I chose Ian Rankin because I like him. This one was, imho, too short and left me wanting - atlhough I'm not sure if that's the point - and I wouldn't recommend it although I did enjoy it.

Then again, I'm a 'the longer the better' type of reader so that might have something to do with it.

Luna

Dunno if this is strictly 'currently reading' given that I started it this afternoon and finished it this evening

Well, if you've finished a book then the best thing to do is start a thread on it if there isn't already one to which you can add your thoughts. Opinions on completed books are going to be utterly lost in this thread which is very much an 'of the moment' affair, whereas if you put thoughts on a specific book in a thread of its own then people can add their responses over time as more readers come to it.

I listened to a play on radio4 this afternoon about a TV crew doing a documentary about MR James - and I didn't fall asleep!

On the back of that I thought I'd dip into one of his collections of ghost stories. I'll probably only read a couple before moving on to another novel, but particularly want to have another look at Oh, Whistle And I'll Come To You, My Lad, which I read - oh, must have been 50 years ago, and A Warning To The Curious, which presumably inspired the play, which was called "A Warning To The Furious"

Started "PopCo" by Scarlett Thomas. I thought "The End of Mr. Y" was fantastic, and I'm glad to see that her style and wit are consistent from book to book.