Currently Reading

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm still reading 2666. Or rather, I'm still finding excuses not to read any more of it. I think it has serious flaws, including being very, very long, repetitive and laboured.
Oh dear. This is going to be my holiday reading :(

Just picked up Revolutionary Road at the weekend, after seeing the high praise Richard Yates gets here! Have to say it's really grabbing me already (didn't see the film, but can't help imagining Kate and Leo as Frank and April :D ). Read Missing Joe by Stephen Thompson last week, will do a review when I'm skiving work tomorrow ;)

I've just started Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig.

I'd read that it had recently been reissued in paperback and it brought back memories of my father's bookshelf when I was a kid.

NB: there is no connection with Stefanie Zweig whose books Momo has read

As mentioned in my introduction post, I'm currently reading American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. Absolutely fascinating account of how the atomic bomb was created, why it was created and by whom. Not to mention how they felt as they were creating it. It's a weighty tome, some 736 pages long and fact filled so it's taken me two months so far and looks likely to take me a lot more. However, I'm enjoying it and it's worth savouring.

Luna