Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't, no. I wasn't too taken by the one I read (can't remember the title just now - something about digging?) I was underwhelmed without actively disliking it.

I'd say worth a look, without being bowled over. The characters were believable enough, but inevitably with this sort of fiction, it lapsed into what seemed just like a series of events. In can imagine the TV adaptation already.

Reef by Romesh Gunesekera - I hate to say it, but I'm finding it rather too dreamily tedious. Or maybe Sri Lanka is just tooooo far away. Read The Cutting Room by Louise Welsh at the weekend, cracked along at a fair pace, and I loved all the Glasgow descriptions, although I think what someone else said on here was pretty perceptive, that the characters seemed slightly caught in a time warp in a city that was modern round about them. Also interested to see Tamburlaine Must Die got panned! I was going to dig that out next. Anyone read The Bullet Trick?

Finished Reef last night, and changed my mind about it, really rather liked it. Which confused me, as I'd definitely been finding it dull the day before. Maybe it was my mood? Maybe it was bcause the action took a turn for the worse, and I'm a gloomy soul all in?! I'd have to read it again to work it out. Just about to embark on Only Strange People Go to Church by Laura Marney for book group. It's not the type of book I'd have picked out for myself.

I haven't read any sci fi apart from my beloved Philip K. Dick for quite a few years, so late last night I dove into Peter F. Hamilton's enormous "Pandora's Star". It is frankly pretty mindless space opera for the 100 pages or so I've read so far, but I still have a long way to go and, for some reason, my brain just doesn't feel in the mood for high art at the moment when it comes to reading.

150 pages into The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing.

Fatal error made last week when setting off on holiday - FORGOT TO PACK A SPARE BOOK!!!

I can't imagine any fellow BGO-ers making such a howling error, don't know what I was thinking of! Anyway WHSmith in Belfast had the least inspiring collection of books I have ever seen and it was the only thing that took my fancy....

Z (the stupid one!)

I haven't read any sci fi apart from my beloved Philip K. Dick for quite a few years, so late last night I dove into Peter F. Hamilton's enormous "Pandora's Star". It is frankly pretty mindless space opera for the 100 pages or so I've read so far, but I still have a long way to go and, for some reason, my brain just doesn't feel in the mood for high art at the moment when it comes to reading.

Try to stick with it, I thought that particular saga was rather good. Not too challenging, but Hamilton has a way of drawing you in and keeping everything going, rather well.