Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal...It has been a good reading even if the ending is a bit fast and chaotic (and I wonder why, because the novel, 'till the end, is written very well).

It is mainly a love story (with some pale implications in politics), so I don't think there's the need to spend other words about it: in order to not reveal the plot...

Now: The Tempest by Shakespeare and Carmilla by Le Fanu...

Just started on book four of the Aloysius X.L. Pendergast series...

:

Stillifewithcrows-book.JPG

Medicine Creek, Kansas. In a town where nothing changes, where Main Street is a two-block stretch of old and dusty businesses, a peculiar and ghastly murder has taken place, the body mutilated and placed carefully in an elaborate tableau in the middle of the endless cornfields. Now cool-eyed and smooth FBI Agent Pendergast arrives to discover a community he must turn inside out to find the killer who can only be one of them...

My new audiobook is Joshua Ferris's "Then We Came To The End", which I started this morning.

Even at this early stage, this office drone is wincing with recognition. Hopefully, the book will also have a plot rather than just being observational, and aspire to be more than a facsimilie of Douglas Coupland.

I'm already getting stuck into the Christmas reading. I read all of Michel Faber's "The Hundred and Ninety Nine Steps" yesterday to fulfil the seasonal requirement for something a bit creepy. Next a bit of silliness with P. G. Wodehouse's "The Mating Season", a corking bit of Jeeves and Wooster.

Struggling with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo... It was fine for reading on planes and trains at the beginning of the week, but not now... PLEASE somebody tell me the Harriet mystery gets sorted out in this first part of the trilogy, as I'm not keen on reading the whole thing...

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer... (I enjoyed the film! I hope I'll enjoy the book in the same way!)
The sales assistant in Borders in York told me as I was paying that she hoped the book would be better than the film, which she hadn't liked.

I thought the book was excellent (an undisputed *****-read).

Starting on Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.

After reflecting on someone's comment on the 5* Books of the Year thread, I'm feeling that I should reassess my own * rating system. Otherwise just about everything gets 4*. The ones I can barely finish seem to get 2*, which seems to skew things. I realise that this is not very interesting (:sorry: ) but I feel the need to justify myself for just downgrading The Lieutenant to 3*!!