Currently Reading

Abbynormal92243

My current audiobook is Carl Hiaasen's "Basket Case".

I read this recently, Gram - I had wanted to read some Hiassen for ages, being a fan of Christopher Brookmyre, who is often compared to him, and I found this one second hand.

I thought it was ok, reasonably entertaining with a couple of good central characters. Interesting that it's not typical of him. Which is most Hiassen-ish?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've read half a dozen Hiaasens, and I reckon his best is probably "Stormy Weather", set in the aftermath of a Florida hurricane. "Sick Puppy"'s good too, and is very appropriately titled.

Been a while since I read Sick Puppy, but thoroughly enjoyed it, and looking forward to reading more of his works. I enjoy the occasional off-the-wall thriller, and being from Florida I can relate to the wacky characters and wholesale environmental rape and plunder that drives them to acts of inspired eco-terrorism (who are the real terrorists here, anyway?)...though I would *never* do those things myself :D

I still haven't resumed The Fatal Revenant.

As a complete contrast, I'm on "The Road To Civil War," a compilation of Marvel graphic stories that tell of events prior to the outbreak of civil war between the superhero community. It has some interesting comparisons with the TV series Heroes.

I have just finished Tiger's Child by Torey Hayden,this book is the sequel to One Child ,and I have to tell you it is absolutely FANTASTIC!.I really enjoy her work,it is at times sad but most of the time tender and you find yourself willing her and supporting her work.

Netx on my list is Ian Rankin 's Bleeding Hearts, I have never really read any of his work,but hey nothing ventured nothing gained! :D

Still reading the Gargoyle. But it's been put to one side this week to read Patrick Ness' Knife of Never Letting Go which won the Booktrust Teenage Prize on Wednesday (I wanted a lighter book than Gargoyle to take on the train, and managed to pick the book that was about to win the prize). I've also read New Moon by Stephanie Meyer in one sitting last night as it came in at the Library on request for me, and I knew there were a lot of people waiting for it so I need to return it Monday really.

God help you Hazel.! I a bit of a stubborn bugger,! and I bought my first ever series of books by Stephen King... and I'm beginning regret all ready.!

It's the Dark Tower 1 to 7, I'm struggling on book 1, it's an apocalyptic thingie and like I said I'm stubborn, it's been stop start for me and I've started it for the third time and it's the final time for me.

Apparently America has had a war and it's reverted to back to the old wild west.!!!

There's this chap called the gunslinger and he's chasin' the man in black and he's the 'baddie' it seems.

But God it's tough going and I've got six in the series,of books yet to plough through of I'll finish it, the series, come hell or or high water, I'll not let that series beat me, but never again will I get a King novel...ever.

Have been trying some 'classic' crime these last few weeks with very mixed results. This week it's The Tiger in the Smoke by Margery Allingham.

When you think, for example, what Raymond Chandler was writing in 1939 onwards (Farewell My Lovely etc) it's no wonder that I was amazed by a sentence such as " 'And Elginbrodde's successor, by God!' said Luke, startled into impiety." and this was written in 1952.

God help you Hazel.! I a bit of a stubborn bugger,! and I bought my first ever series of books by Stephen King... and I'm beginning regret all ready.!

It's the Dark Tower 1 to 7, I'm struggling on book 1, it's an apocalyptic thingie and like I said I'm stubborn, it's been stop start for me and I've started it for the third time and it's the final time for me.

Apparently America has had a war and it's reverted to back to the old wild west.!!!

There's this chap called the gunslinger and he's chasin' the man in black and he's the 'baddie' it seems.

But God it's tough going and I've got six in the series,of books yet to plough through of I'll finish it, the series, come hell or or high water, I'll not let that series beat me, but never again will I get a King novel...ever.

There's a whole thread devoted to the series.

http://www.bookgrouponline.com/forum/showthread.html?t=471

I struggled badly with Book 1 as well but the rest of it was magnificent!

Have for once in my life had loads of time to read in the last couple of days - unfortunately it was beside my three year old's hospital bed as he was struck down with pneumonia. Thankfully he is on the mend and came home today and the book is shaping up to be the best I've read in ages - Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton.