Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

I'm a little way into Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson.  It's great so far.

I'm halfway through Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles by Mark Russell & Mike Feehan.  LOVING it!

I am three chapters into 'The seven deaths of Evelyn 

Hardcastle' by Stuart Turton.'

'

2019 has started fairly inauspiciously for me, I started the year with The Liars Wife (review in 21st century literature) which i liked but wasn't totally bowled over with, then I read the completely dire and dreadful Damien by J Kenner (review available in the Stark Series review I posted).

So now I am reading a trilogy of books which I picked up dirt cheap as a deal of the day thingy off of Amazon and it is something I have never really read before, organised crime and underworld series by Kimberly Chambers which follows the lives of two London  families who despise each other.

The Series begins with The Feud (which I have just completed) and I am now on book 2 The Traitor and the trilogy ends with The Victim.  So far I have been pretty blown away by it and The Feud was the first book of 2019 which inspired me to pull an 'all nighter', I will of course post a full review when I have completed the series.

I've decided to leave off "Little Women" for a while, as I'm finding it a bit twee, plus I know the story (I've just got to Amy's mishap on the ice), and instead am reading Ann Cleeves's "The Seagull", the latest in the Vera Stanhope series, as the TV version will be shown in a few weeks' time, and I want to read it first!

On 11/01/2019 at 10:39, Madeleine said:

I've decided to leave off "Little Women" for a while, as I'm finding it a bit twee, plus I know the story (I've just got to Amy's mishap on the ice), and instead am reading Ann Cleeves's "The Seagull", the latest in the Vera Stanhope series, as the TV version will be shown in a few weeks' time, and I want to read it first!

My view of Little Women has been completely changed by Samantha Ellis's How to be a Heroine. What she wrote about how the underlying theme of LW is about the girls having to suppress their natural natures in order to become a proper little woman rings so true that I don't think I could read it now.

Just started Time's Convert by Deborah Harkness, Luna messaged me privately and pointed out that the ebook version was at that point in time just 99p and considering the last time I looked at it it was £9.99, I had decided (albeit reluctantly) to wait till it came out in paperback as if I was going to pay that kind of money I wanted something physical to show for it (plus I had the All Souls Trilogy in book book form), but with a deal like that I didn't think twice about getting it, it immediately leaped to the top of my TBR list and I started reading it on Tuesday and so far I am loving it.

Edited by Apple

Having many, many, many times said on BGO that I didn't like short stories  I am currently reading Poirot Investigates a collection of short stories  by Agatha Christie.

I had been an avid reader for many years, and would sit reading for long periods of time, or with quite short periods between reading sessions; short stories just did not fit my reading 'timetable'.

For several years now, for various reasons, mostly inexplicable, I have just not managed to 'settle into' whatever book I tried, butpicked this book up on the way to a hospital appointment, thinking that it would do to pass the time in the waiting room. 

As it turned out, my waiting time was remarkably short, and I didn't look at the book. However, because of periods of back pain I find myself sitting for the odd half-hour during the day, and finding nothing remotely watchable on the TV in the afternoon I have been picking the book up and reading these short stories.

Depending on the length of the story, i can read one, or two at a sitting, and because they are individual stories I can put the book down for a few days and not have to remind myself of what came before.

Of course, this is Poirot, so a puzzle to engage my mind, and other short stories may not work as well for me - but it is a start!