Abbynormal92243

Currently Reading

On 03/10/2018 at 22:10, Loretta said:

Just started The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis.

Letters from senior devil, uncle Screwtape, to his nephew Wormood, a junior devil.

We used to get that read to us sometimes in prayers at school. it was the only time they were ever interesting.

I'm really struggling with White by Rosie Thomas, a read for my book group and so not my kind of book. I've done 90 pages, think I'll skim the next 300 and just read the last chapter...

On 08/10/2018 at 17:04, Viccie said:

We used to get that read to us sometimes in prayers at school. it was the only time they were ever interesting.

I'm really struggling with White by Rosie Thomas, a read for my book group and so not my kind of book. I've done 90 pages, think I'll skim the next 300 and just read the last chapter...

Enjoyed most of the book ( Screwtape) but then found myself skipping some of the pages. Great idea speaking from a devil’s point of view, though.Was your school CoE? Mine was RCatholic.

Starting Dostoevsky’s The Idiot tomorrow 

19 hours ago, Loretta said:

Enjoyed most of the book ( Screwtape) but then found myself skipping some of the pages. Great idea speaking from a devil’s point of view, though.Was your school CoE? Mine was RCatholic.

We were C of E and the headmistress liked to think she was forward thinking.

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Ooooh you must tell me how you get on with it

I will, I will. I’ve only read 30 pages so far, but It’s already gripping. 

After always saying that I didn't like romance books I discovered to my surprise that I have been reading books by Maureen Lee who writes Romantic Fiction, the ones mostly I've read have been WWll novels set in the 1930-40's and have really enjoyed them, set mostly in Bootle and Liverpool.   I loved the way all the streets and communities pulled together during the blitz and the marvellous courage and bravery of the citizens of the large cities which were bombed nightly.  I lived in Glasgow during the war but where we were there wasn't a lot of damage although we were not that far away from the docks.  We had the barrage balloons hovering over houses near us and the guns would make a lot of noise and cause the skylight of the building we were in to break but no devastation near us.  So it's interesting to read about an era in which I was living and learn what so many people had to suffer and marvel at their courage and endurance - and there was romance but it wasn't overpowering and glamorous.   I was too young to be evacuated for which I am grateful.

Edited by momac

I have just started Francis Spufford's Golden Hill and I'm loving it already. I'm reading a Kindle edition which I picked up for 99p, but the book is so good that I'm considering buying a paper copy; somehow it wants to be read on paper!

18 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

I have just started Francis Spufford's Golden Hill and I'm loving it already. I'm reading a Kindle edition which I picked up for 99p, but the book is so good that I'm considering buying a paper copy; somehow it wants to be read on paper!

I've had that sitting in the TBR pile for ages, time to dig it out I think, especially as I have some good recoùùendations from you MM

10 hours ago, Viccie said:

I've had that sitting in the TBR pile for ages, time to dig it out I think, especially as I have some good recoùùendations from you MM

Oh that's good to know Viccie!

I've just started Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie.  Only a few pages in, but I'm enjoying it.  It's not a Poirot -- for a change!

I'm REALLY looking forward to my December/Christmas reads this year.  I have three delicious seasonal murder mysteries lined up.

For the day that is today, I finished reading the great war by Aleksandr gatalica 

Started pretend I'm dead by jen beagin, which I had bought due to a BGO review :)

Library loan of Sunny Side Up: a story of kindness and joy by Susan Calman 

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Got past the part where women discover their body and are not ashamed. Strange that 19th century morals are the same today.