Which O'Neill play is best?

O'Neill's most highly regarded plays are "Long Day's Journey into Night" and "The Iceman Cometh". I studied some O'Neill at university, but have never seen his plays performed onstage. I prefer the latter myself, although my memories of both are hazy.

The Wikipedia pages give pretty good plot synopses.

• 5 months later...

I read Iceman a fortnight ago, and really liked it. It's just one of those titles I've heard made fun of for such a long time (the gas man cometh etc!), that one day, bored at work, I looked it up on tinternet, and found out it was about a group of deluded alcoholics who sit in a bar, day after day, talking about what they're going to do with their lives (which of course they aren't because they're sitting in a bar day after day). Most of all they wait for this one particular guy Hickey; a travelling salesman who comes by once a year for a big blowout, and lets the others drink the bar dry on him. However, this year, they discover to their horror that not only has Hickey given up drinking, he's determined to make them face up to their own 'pipe dreams.'

Now, this struck a particular cord with me because it was Lent, and I always give up drinking and smoking for Lent, and find I take stock, get a lot done but go a bit mental. I was really surprised that something of this age could be so resonant: really a modern subject, I don't know where else I've seen it tackled in this way (and I'm not counting the 'Tragic Lives' section of WH Smith). The whole play reeks of booze and dirt and delusion and the ways in which people take their comfort. The only jarring bit was that some of the characters were written in O'Neill's version of New York italian vernacular (think Joey from Friends... but not quite so eloquent). Now, this brought up an interesting question: was O'Neill just not very good at capturing it literally, or has it changed wildly since 1940? I'm guessing probably a bit of both. When I read Iceman, it definitely set me wondering how it could be adapted to modern day Glasgow, probably the East End. Any budding playwrights should give it a shot!

O'Neill's life is fascinating in itself: His parents originally had two kids, and the older one caught chicken pox, and was told not to go near the younger one in case he spread it. Unfortunately he did, and the other wee boy caught it and died. The mother went into a deep depression, and the father was convinced that having another child would solve everything, even though she didn't want one. Thus Eugene was born and despised, and the older boy, Jamie, tormented and guilt-ridden. Their mother became a morphine addict. Jamie drank himself to death at 45. Eugene got kicked out of Princeton Uni for drinking, and became a sailor, tramp and prodigious alcoholic. And then... he gave up drinking and started writing.

Interestink and very much worth reading!!

• 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kelby_lake
      Myself, I'd say:

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
      A View From The Bridge
      Another Country
      In Camera
      Titus Andronicus
      Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
      An Inspector Calls
    • By tuscan
      I was wondering if this essential book had been discussed at any length on this forum?
      I last read it and made notes from the abridged library book,long before it became available on the web.Is there a definitive version that comes in written form,or is it best viewed online?
      Regards.
    • By kelby_lake
      What should Lady's accent sound like? I know she's Italian but she's lived in America since she was little.
    • By waawo
      Restored thread

#1 23rd April 2012, 08:07 PM
      Claire

Modern Poetry Ebooks

This may be a bit of an niche question, but I'd love to know what poetry any of you had found that could be downloaded onto a Kindle or similar device. I'd love to have a collection of poetry on mine, but am finding it hard to come by.

Any recommendations?

My main preference is for modern poetry, but I'm struggling to find any. Free would be great, but I'd be happy to pay proper money for a decent modern anthology in electronic form.

Having said that, if you have any recommendations for older, classic works, I'd be glad to hear those too.

#2 24th April 2012, 10:55 AM
      Lectora

Claire,
      I had just the same quest as you have. By going to Kindle Store - Poetry, I found a huge selection, some free, some reasonably priced, a few expensive. Modern poetry anthologies are in short supply, but several individual modern poets works - RS Thomas for instance.

I downloaded for free Six Centuries of English Poetry - Tennyson-Chaucer, by James Baldwin, and I'm pleased with it.

Then I went to Gutenberg where all downloads, via the USB cable, are free. (Instructions for downloading are on a Kindle thread Nov-Dec- 2011, in Central Library forum). There is a large and varied selection up to modern:
      http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Poetry_%28Bookshelf%29

#3 24th April 2012, 05:27 PM
      Claire

Hi Lectora,

I'm a frequent and enthusiastic visitor to Project Gutenberg! I haven't been too inspired by the poetry though. I downloaded Paradise Lost, The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner and The Wasteland, but that was all.

I wish someone like Bloodaxe Books would put lots of their books on Kindle. Being Alive, and the two follow on books are my most read anthologies by a long way. There isn't very much modern poetry in the Kindle store at all

I might check out the 6 Centuries one you mentioned - can't go far wrong, if it's free. Thanks!

#4 24th April 2012, 09:32 PM
      Lectora

Claire,
      I'm inclined to agree with you. The choice of books of poetry whether free or to buy is poor in both Project Gutenberg and Amazon. There is not a decent collection of Metaphysical Poetry to be had anywhere and as for Modern Poetry...... However I found Palgrave's Golden Treasury on Gutenberg and have downloaded that to be alongside Six Centuries of English Poetry, also T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land. I'm also quite pleased with Selections from Wordsworth and Tennyson, Browning's Shorter Poems, Tennyson's Idylls of the King, and Lyrical Ballads (Wordsworth and Coleridge) (all free from Project Gutenberg)

I don't think the e-books' creators have got their minds round how to lay out poetry in the line lengths as presented in the paper books they've converted. Alexander Pope's iambic pentameters (from Gutenberg) appear as prose. Fortunately this is rhymed verse but even so the appearance is odd and disconcerting.

I'm just about to remove A E Housman's Last Poems (Gutenberg). The presentation is OK but I don't like the selection. I've just bought for £2.50 from Amazon via the BGO link, A Treasury of Christian Poetry by Day Williams. In the introduction he recalls a prisoner in Vietnam who recited whilst in prison all the religious poetry he could remember, and that included some of the greates pieces from the KJB. DW does not say he was the prisoner but I suspect he was. I was pleased to find the layout just about perfect, but of course, this book was custom-made for the Kindle. I think the selection is good. What pleased me most is that the Metaphysical poets are well represented, which I would expect as their poetry is nearly all religious.

#5 24th April 2012, 10:23 PM
      megustaleer

When I read your OP I went straight to look for Staying Alive and Being Alive on Amazon, and was quite surprised not to find kindle editions. I browsed around for a bit, but there really isn't much at all by way of modern poetry produced as ebooks, and certainly no anthologies that I could see. 
      You might find a few by individual poets, but you'd have to know who you are looking for, as there are a lot of self-styled, self-published 'poets' around these days.

#6 25th April 2012, 12:56 PM
      Grammath

Salt Publishing have made a number of their titles available for Kindle if you#re looking for modern poets, as have Faber & Faber.

#7 26th April 2012, 10:04 AM
      Lectora

Thanks, Grammath. I'll look up Salt Publishing and Faber & Faber.

In your message, when I clicked on the underlined modern poets, I was taken to a title proclaiming Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner! How do you define "modern poetry"? When I was a student, T.S. Eliot was "modern". Now he is referred to as "early decades of the 20th c." I plan to look up the work of the present (Carol Ann Duffy) and recent poet laureates.

The fact is that most of the the poetry one "recollects in tranquility" is that which one read/heard and loved when young.

#8 26th April 2012, 08:39 PM
      Claire

Very helpful, thanks Grammath. Lots of choice from Faber and Faber in particular. I'm interested to note that their ebooks are almost entirely books by a single poet, rather than anthologies. I wonder what's behind that decision. 
      One thing that hadn't occurred to me, before reading responses on this thread, is the issues relating to displaying poetry on a screen rather than a page, and the way that messes with line length.
    • By jfp
      Here's a quiz from today's Guardian.

You scored 9 out of a possible 12
      Not bad – right in that meaty part of the curve

[Eh??]

Unfortunately only a minority of the questions actually ask you to identify lines...