Rear-window stickers

nonsuch

We had a cross-community email from friends yesterday about a serious rear window sticker.

Apparently people are finding something stuck to the outside of their rear car window. Usually it's not noticed until you get into your car, start the engine and then look backwards whilst reversing. If you then get out of the car to take the sticker off you have probably left the door open and the engine running. This is when the car theif jumps in and drives off with you car.

If you are a man you lose your car and its contents. If you are female the chances are you have also lost your handbag with all your personal details and money, etc.

Beware of back window stickers!

I realy like those 'Baby on Board' stickers, because you know, I'm often planning to drive badly enough to kill every single person in that car, until I see the sticker.

I read once that the original purpose of those was for accidents, because sometimes a baby can be thrown clear of the vehicle and may be missed by rescue services. But then what happens when there's an accident in a car with the sticker that's just been left there even when a child isn't in the car? Do they spend ages looking for the child that never was? :rolleyes:

My guilty secret a few months back was to see a car with "Babe on Board" in the back window.

I smiled.

I punished myself later for showing such poor taste. I deserved it too.

I realy like those 'Baby on Board' stickers, because you know, I'm often planning to drive badly enough to kill every single person in that car, until I see the sticker.

Yeah, absolutely. Me too. I was just about to ram into the back of you so hard you'd end up sitting on my lap, but then I saw the sticker and, well, I couldn't hurt a baby! :rolleyes: I've never had one of those stickers.

I also dislike the one which says, 'if you're close enough to read this you're too close' because, well, I have to get close enough to read what it says (keen readers have to read more or less everything, as we on here know) and then, you're right, I'm too close. But I wouldn't have been if you hadn't put the sticker in your window! :confused:

I am largely indifferent to Baby on Board stickers, but hubby absolutely hates them. We never got one when we had the boys. Hubby's main problem with them is that they are utterly pointless - no one changes the way they drive because of them and everyone should be driving safely regardless.

scouser.gif BOB stickers will have an effect on a few people - it might only be 1 in a 1000 but it will catch some people on a certain receptive day and almost sub-consciously cause them to be a little less aggressive in their driving.

They do some good. Not a lot of course and the impact they seem to have on some people's blood pressure just might outweigh the benefits of saving the occasional baby's life.

Wouldn't have been seen dead myself with one though!

(PS This post is largely TIC.)

One Mum that I know swears that her Baby On Board sticker causes people to back off all the time. I have theories based on her appalling driving, mad bag lady dress sense and generally reckless attitude to life, but I'm only brave enough to voice them on an anonymous website and not to her face.

Bumper stickers are for losers.

Dare I mention the fish?

I really like those too because, hell, if you know the other driver is goin on up to the spirit in the sky you don''t have to be so careful about making sure he survives the trip home.

I have a fish but it has never been attached to any of my vehicles. It's a Darwin fish with legs though, so perhaps that will make people more careful.

I've had it for years, maybe I should attach it to my front door to discourage the people who want to convert me on the doorstep (it was an episode of that which encouraged me to buy it in the first place).

I've had it for years, maybe I should attach it to my front door to discourage the people who want to convert me on the doorstep
But those are some of my favourite people. Don't you just love the way they squirm when you offer them a stiff drink and ask if it's true that they're sewn into their underpants?

I actually giggled at the screaming garfield plastered onto a window, but it only works once. My mother, a small, very, very proper person, used to drive around in the late 80s with a fake carphone aerial on the back of her car but my brother had stuck it on as a joke and she was scared about ruining the duco pulling it off.

I dislike things stuck to cars the same way I dislike any kind of label worn on the outside. Muslim veils, religious jewellery, fake Chanel T-shirts (lovies, Chanel does not do t-shirts, and if they did, they would not be in pilling, badly stretchd cotton), Louis Vuiton bags, most sports gear, hate, hate, hate. I realy wonder why people are so insecure they need to announce bits of themselves like that.

Need a 'crank on board' sticker tonight ;)

Dare I mention the fish?

I really like those too because, hell, if you know the other driver is goin on up to the spirit in the sky you don''t have to be so careful about making sure he survives the trip home.

What exactly does the fish symbol represent?

Clearly some specific variation of christianity, but I don't know which. I'm asking because my neighbour has one, and I'm nosy.

To the best of my knowledge, the fish just represents general Christianity, rather than any specific variation within that. You probably find it slightly more among evangelical types, but it's not exclusive to that end of the spectrum by any means. The fish is a very early symbol by which Christians identified one another while being persecuted in the early centuries AD, as far as I've always been told.

If you're that nosey, why don't you ask your neighbours what they think it means :D

I do rather like the Darwin fish with legs!

The other endlessly repeated and varied and often very boring bumper sticker is, "My other car is a....." I know I've seen some more imaginative versions of it, but I can't remember what they are :o

("My other car is a broomstick" was one I liked - and I think I've seen, "My other car is a combine harvester", locally. It's quite a rural area, so it may well have been true)

I was taught that the fish was a way for early Christians to identify each other back in the days when they were persecuted. Someone would draw a curve in the sand and the other person would draw the second one, making the fish shape.

In those days, no one seemed to think it necessary to stick it to the back of their Vauxhall.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of them are lies, but then, if Peter Ackroyd's semi-fictitious hero in English Music is to be believed, 'A lie, once uttered, changes reality just as surely as if it were a great truth.' Thus 90% of Baby on Board stickers say the thing that is not - there's usually no tiny occupant in the rear seat, or, if there is, then said infant has probably now reached a certain size that is incommensurable with the term 'baby.' As for the avowal that 'Windsurfers do it standing up', I have a grave suspicion that this too is a fiction. If indeed, said spotspersons do occupy a standing position while engaged in their nefarious activities, then they are most ill-advised. A prone position is much more convenient and a damned sight more comfortable.

RE the fish as Christian symbol, as far as I am aware it is a very early symbol.

The Greek word for fish is Ichthus (best i can manage without Greek script ) The initial letters then spell out Iesus Xristos Theou uios soter or something like that which means Jesus Christ,son of God, Saviour.

and I quite like the sticker that says "Slapper on board"