What is your favourite book?

bobblegobble

okay, i know i'm new but i thought i could 'mingle' (though i don't know if thats possible on the internet) by posting a new thread, here goes!!

My favourite book is Jacoby's Game - Alison Prince. It is about a girl who, well here's the review:

As Tiggy lies in hospital after a terrible accident, her mind wanders. Reunited with her beloved cat, Jacoby, she explores past and present in a game of Jacoby's devising. Tiggy can go where she wants to go, be who she wants to be. It's not as comfortable as she had thought it would be. Tiggy is an angry and frustrated person who feels desperately unloved and unwanted. Her mother is distracted, grieving over the death of her husband and Tiggy's hated stepfather, Philip. Philip is the man who took Jacoby away from Tig and had him put down. In the game, no matter how hard she tries to escape him and to find a better place, Philip just won't go away. Only Jacoby is unperturbed.

It sounds bad, i know, but i was hooked! Secondly is probably

Jane Eyre, again - hooked!

So easy to answer if I were still ten years old! I'd have said What Katy Did (Susan Coolidge) and Party Frock (Noel Streatfeild)and at thirteen Jane Eyre

If I were eighteen I'd have said Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Alan Sillitoe).

At twenty-eight Clayhanger

At thirty-eight Bleak House

At forty-eight Fever Pitch

Of course it's a cop-out: nobody who reads a lot and loves reading could answer this question in one.

This is a difficult one. The book(s) I've read most often over the years are also the books of Jane Austen - I used to read them in a kind of cycle every year or so. I could say they were the nearest thing to a favourite book or set of books.

Then Pride and Prejudice came up in an OU course and I stopped doing this. :(

• 4 weeks later...

What a difficult question, it changes depending on what mood I'm in. Jane Austen's books are always quite high in the top tens (except Northanger Abbey, maybe) but one that I really liked and is well-known between BGO members is The Children's War by J.N. Stroyar.

• 3 weeks later...

I was amused and interested by Chuntzy's list of favourite books throughout his life. Well, not so much interested in his list but more in the idea that we are always changing and our tastes develop along with the maturation process. Anyway here's my list:

My Early years - Any William books

When I was 16 - (surprise, surprise) Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. Sillitoe

18 - Junky. Burroughs

24 - Power and the Glory. Greene

30 - Cain's Book. Trocchi

45 - More Please. Humpries

55+ The Crimson Petal and the White. Faber The Road. McCormack On Chesil Beach. McEwen

obviously, my two favourites would be The Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare :)

But apart from that, it would be This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson. It is a deeply moving fictional biography of Captain FitzRoy, comparing and contrasting him with Charles Darwin. It has enormous historical detail, human drama and provokes real thought about a whole range of issues still relevant to day.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a million dollars question! I would have answered without thinking about so much 'till some months ago ... It's difficult to find one or few answers now, because this year I've read many books which I particularly appreciated. And this fact made me think a lot about the evolution of my tastes. The fact is that I have many books I really like, but nothing I can say to be my favourite...even between the ones I had some time ago...

Sounds weird, because I like reading more than in past, but can't explain it to myself...

Anyway between the ones I like there are: The House of the Spirits, A Man, Kaputt, A Doll's House, The Lord of the Rings, Penthesilea, Eichmann in Jerusalem, Macbeth, The Raw Youth, OceanSea, The Portrait of a Lady, The Last Crusader, Medea, Max Havelaar, Fahrenheit 451, Do Androids dream electric sheep?, etc etc... :D:confused:

Hmmm...perhaps the more I read the less I am able to do lists! :P