Best Opening Titles / Theme Tune Ever!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own the first two of those on 7" single (Noel Edmonds played the MASH theme every Sunday morning for months on R1 and it was eventually re-released and I think went to number one), the third on CD in its original form as "Light Flight", me being too young to remember Take three girls, and would like the last one, I knew the title but never realised it was by the Eagles.

Incidentally, the original lineup of Pentangle are touring this summer. I've seen Danny Thompson performing with Richard Thompson a couple of times and Jacqui McShee and Bert Jansch as part of a revised Pentangle in the early 90s, hoping I can get along when they go to Cardiff.

The Pentangle tour is tempting, but in truth, I wish I'd seen them in 1969. I'm not sure Jacqui McShee's voice still has what it takes. I regret that Pentangle didn't offer more vocal parts for Bert Jansch - whio has a really remarkable voice. I Loved A Lass on Sweet Child is an excellent example of what he can do. An evening of You Tube awaits...

I heard Richard Thompson and Danny Thompson doing a show together on Radio 3 many years ago (probably 1993-4 ish) and they were really great. But noone I know has ever heard of this session, let alone heard it.

I guess I've been outed as a folkie...

...in truth, I wish I'd seen them in 1969...

I guess I've been outed as a folkie...

I dunno about being a folkie but from my understanding, you hearing them in 1969 would have taken a spectacularly forward-thinking acoustic arrangement ;)

Best theme song ever, hands down is

Wonder Woman

The Pentangle tour is tempting, but in truth, I wish I'd seen them in 1969.

So do I, and Fairport the same year. However I was born in 1969 so I'm a bit young.

I've never heard of the session you mention either incidentally. I remember when Industry came out but missed any radio coverage.

The greatest ever, without doubt, is Prisoner: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VDqI8ogVzbM&feature=related

Thing is, whenever people refer to "Prisoner Cell Block H" without using its full title, I immediately think of this, in all its 1960s glory, which, let's face it, is pretty groovy too.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Thing is, whenever people refer to "Prisoner Cell Block H" without using its full title, I immediately think of this

That's exactly what came to my mind, Gram - I was a bit shocked when I clicked the link!

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

I should think that's a regular rallying cry in your workplace! ;)

I should think that's a regular rallying cry in your workplace! ;)

It's generally more of a rallying whisper. Actually, my beloved employers' annual report was published this week ahead of the AGM at the end of the month. Apparently, shopfloor employees now have a choice of 55 variations of uniform, all ugly (actually, I added those last two words). I guess this counts as freedom in the modern age.

Orange...you're thinking of Sainsbury's, Kim. My paymasters tell me they're evil.

Don't think there was particularly memorable music to this but the voiceover was great:

"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension.

Transuranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is life.

Medium atomic weights are available.

Gold, Lead1, Copper, Jet, Diamond, Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.

Sapphire and Steel have been assigned."

Absolutely loved it - confusing as a thing I shouldn't mention on a family friendly site, but still riveting.

Don't think there was particularly memorable music to this...

Oh I don't know - I thought the music was good too. It wasn't a memorable tune, as such, but the stirring brass was suitably dramatic, especially growing out of the eerie 'twinkly' bit at the start (you can tell I'm musically educated, can't you...?) Of course it does do that corny old thing that title music can do in that you can 'sing' "Sapphire and Steel" to the trumpet part, but we'll forgive it that.

Anyway,

Plus, I mentioned in my first post ages ago on the thread about Space: 1999, which popped up beside the Sapphire and Steel titles, so you might as well have that, nostalgia freaks. I just loved the music to that when I was a kid and it still sends a little tingle through the spine now.

Space: 1999

• 1 year later...

I've been interested of late by the sharp divide that's emerged between various American series in their approach to opening titles. Some have gone intensely minimalist, such as Lost, Heroes and most recently FlashForward. Here it's little more than a logo accompanied by something closer to a noise than a theme tune.

In a way I was inclined to think, "Great - less filler: more show!" (though how true that is may well be a pertinent question - maybe they just stick in another ad!)

However, other shows are increasingly finding the artform within title sequences, such that although I Sky+ many of these programmes I don't always fast forward the titles because I enjoy them so much. Great sequences of perfectly chosen music and visuals truly add to the shows.

Of course I don't think such an approach would suit the likes of Lost at all, but it's heartening that the choices made on shows like that haven't led producers on other shows simply to follow that route. Maybe if anything it's encouraged them to take the full-on approach to their title sequences.

Anyway, here are a few of my favourites:

Top of the pile because it's witty and so perfectly suits the show:

Best music accompanying excellent visuals:

Great interplay of elements:

There are others but that's enough to be going on with!

I'd forgotten how much they made of that image. At two and a half minutes that's a whopper, isn't it!

At the opposite end of the intro spectrum is The Black Donnellys, which is about five seconds of bullet shots accompanying each actor's name, the writer, producer and director. Shame I can't find it online as it's the perfect counterpoint to Mr 'Get On With It' Lynch.

• 3 weeks later...

I have loads which spring to mind the theme tune to some mothers do have em, was one which sticks in my mind, Dr Who, Roobarb and Custard, The Wombles, Magpie, Why Don't you, are others I remember from my childhood. Best opening to a programme for me though has to be Bagpuss.

I do love the opening titles and music to the Trueblood series as well.

I remember an old black and white programme when I was a kid which was on I don't know what it was called but I remember clearly the end titles there is this family standing in a doorway waving, and I can still remember some of the words.

it went:

now its time to say goodbye to Jed and all his kin

we would like to thank you folks for kindly dropping in

your all invited back next week to this locality

to have a heaped helping of their hospitality

No idea what it was but that sticks in my memory to this day

I remember an old black and white programme when I was a kid which was on I don't know what it was called but I remember clearly the end titles there is this family standing in a doorway waving, and I can still remember some of the words.

Just spent a while seaching for the clip and annoyingly it's not around!

Anyway, this is the close to The Beverly Hillbillies and the best I can find is here, though it's not the original version of the song (or at least I don't think it is!) and puts together the verses used to open the show and those you quote that ended it.

Thats it!! That brought back memories hearing that, I was right back at home sitting watching the telly waiting for my tea!! My mum would bring it in and switch the telly channel over and that was just finishing.

Thanks for that!!

also...

Lucyb Wrote:

"All irregularities will be handled by the forces controlling each dimension.

Transuranic, heavy elements may not be used where there is life.

Medium atomic weights are available.

Gold, Lead1, Copper, Jet, Diamond, Radium, Sapphire, Silver and Steel.

Sapphire and Steel have been assigned."

Absolutely loved it - confusing as a thing I shouldn't mention on a family friendly site, but still riveting.

Sapphire and Steel I adored this programme!!! the man with no face in that house, the haunted railway station with the first world war soldiers and the darkness which filled the place, that gave me nightmares for weeks and I kept thinking I saw the darkness filling my bedroom. (I was only about 8/9 years old at the time!!)

• 3 weeks later...