Hazel

What films have you seen recently?

I'm with you on this one Momac.  Personally I normally don't watch either dubbed OR subtitled films.  If they are dubbed I just cannot get away from the "mouth not matching voice" element, if they are subtitled I just find it distracting to have to read the dialogue while trying to watch what is happening on screen.  I can appreciate that subtitling allows the viewer to see and hear the film being delivered in an authentic language etc. but it's just not for me.  Correct spelling of the subtitling would be a plus (0.38 into above clip).

I like watching subtitled films, especially French films with French subtitles, that way i don't worry about losing track of the dialogue and getting left behind.

Went to see the latest X Men offering with the youngest daughter on Friday.  I can't say that the 3D added anything to the enjoyment of the film at all but it was still a really good watch.  She got to see James McAvoy and I got to see Hugh Jackman, from the back in the buff... now that was enjoyable.

Personally I normally don't watch either dubbed OR subtitled films.

IOW, there are a great many excellent films which you will never see. Poor chap.

Love subtitled films. How else can you see the finest non english speaking films?

Dubbing nah I prefer the actor speaking in their own language.

BTW Heli I recommend but not sure if I loved it.Very shocking..Reminded me a little of Amores Perros which is a great film 

Edited by Clavain

IOW, there are a great many excellent films which you will never see. Poor chap.

I can live with that.  Film watching is not one of the more important uses of my time.

Then you may get an idea of how we feel when our cinemas are full of English-language films only. Get them either dubbed or subbed or don't go into the cinema at all, these are the obvious options.

I finally got to see 12 Years a Slave on DVD. I actually didn't think it was as great as I'd heard. The acting was wonderful, but I didn't like the directing at all.

I finally got to see 12 Years a Slave on DVD. I actually didn't think it was as great as I'd heard. The acting was wonderful, but I didn't like the directing at all.

Agree. Was quite disappointed actually.

I don't go the cinema and rarely watch films on TV. But then...

I've just watched two excellent performances by George Clooney. The Decendents and Up In The Air. He's very good isn't he?

I also watched two clever fun films. Now You See Me was fun and clever. Inception was so good that I watched it twice.

So, not recent... But good.

Love subtitled films. How else can you see the finest non english speaking films?

Dubbing nah I prefer the actor speaking in their own language.

BTW Heli I recommend but not sure if I loved it.Very shocking..Reminded me a little of Amores Perros which is a great film

i saw the film version of "The Hundred year old man who climbed out a window" in July, one thing being that while the dialogue on screen was subtitled, the narration was in english, i'd be thinking editing in.

i don't mind subtitled films, if i am going to watch a movie in the cinema, i will go see what looks good regardless of this, but that is not for everyone.

people at work have given me grief over this, i don't get why, why does my choice of film bother them? maybe i should just lie if they ask me what i did over the weekend

i have varied tastes, last year over a 2 day period in dublin, i saw "despicable me 2" on a sunday and on monday, i saw a saudi arabian movie "wajda"

on thursday night, i saw "boyhood" which was filmed over a 12 year period exploring the main character Mason growing up from being 6 to 18. I thought it was really good exploration of life and growing up, a great movie

Captain Phillips (on DVD).  Excellent. The pacing was so well controlled. Nothing was overplayed. Tension right to the end. The young Somali actors were superb - terrified me!  Mr Hanks was not so bad, either!

Captain Phillips was very good. I'm not a great movie fan but I enjoyed this film.

Captain Phillips was very good. I'm not a great movie fan but I enjoyed this film.

Hello, Mac. Long time ... :wavey:

Now I'm really going to get hammered because I've been watching (wait for it) Lord of the Rings Special Extended DVD Edition. And I achieved a milestone by being able to keep going from just before when Frodo 'betrays' Smeagol to Faramir ... that's a hurdle I've been trying to cross for a long time. Am enjoying all the accompanying commentaries from cast and production team, and seeing how effects are created. Just the ticket for chilly evenings!

I saw The Hundred Foot Journey this weekend. I thought it was a little slow but quite good.

Saw "Michael Kohlhaas" last week, followed this week by "The Signal". Both are impressing. "Kohlhaas" more so.

i watched "500 days of summer" on channel 4 last night. I had seen it before but I like it

I guess the channel 4 thinking was:

Hey, you know how that ad for What If keeps telling us it is the best romcom since 500 days of summer, lets show 500 days of summer the day what if is released

Felt like a bit of relaxation yesterday and went off to watch The Hundred-Foot Journey, which is the width of a road in France separating a Michelin one-star restaurant from the very newly established Indian restaurant. The clash of culinary cultures would probably have more meaning for Gh and MrHG, but it was a story full of colour and music and food.  The making of 'the omelette' was incredibly beautiful (and images of the pottery scene in the film 'Ghost' came to mind).

Just watched an entertaining and romantic movie on tv, The Jane Austen Book Club, where the movie plot works its way through all of Jane A's books. The people find parallels between their lives and what possibly Jane was trying to covey in each book. It was really interesting, made me want to get the books out again. The one lone male member of the book club had all the books in one large book and was wondering if there was such a book. Would be nice to have all of them in one place.

Edited by momac

Further to my previous post I managed to get a 'good used' copy from one of Amazon's subsidiaries with most of the Austen novels in it for a reasonable price.  It is described as being 'leather bonded' so I hope it is in good shape.

Lat weekend: "A Most Wanted Man." Excellent and a sad reminder of what we lost when Phillip Seymour Hoffman died.

Lat weekend: "A Most Wanted Man." Excellent and a sad reminder of what we lost when Phillip Seymour Hoffman died.

Today after a few years since watched The Big Lebowski by the Coen brothers.

Truly a classic film imho and Philip Seymour Hoffman added a little poignancy

Made me think of Capote a film nearly close to the brilliance of the book and mainly because of his acting.

Edited by Clavain