Hazel

What films have you seen recently?

I tried to watch the first episode of Vanity Fair on ITV last week, knowing I would have to endure commercial intrusions.  Who else tried it?  I can just about manage to endure the commercials on Sky Sport (cricket, and selected football) but VF last week was hopeless.

I watched the first episode of ITV Vanity Fair on Sunday, and though I’ve never read the book or see any adaptations, but Becky’s character  annoyed me so much that I haven’t watched any more episodes. Becky seemed to be a modern characterisation, but everyone else was of it’s original time; it just seem to jarred horribly, for me.

Edited by Marie H

I'm quite enjoying Vanity Fair, it's a bit crass in places but Becky seems pretty true to the character I remember though I read it ages ago.

Quite enjoying it so far, the ads are  awful though - Outlander was even worse for ads, seemed to have a break every 10 minutes or so.

I haven't read Vanity Fair as such but I watched it last Sunday (and Monday) as I felt I'd appreciate the escape from modern day for a while. I was surprised to see Martin Clunes in it - I quite like him, well im certainly a fan of Doc Martin anyway. I can't say I paid a great deal of attention to the characterisation - I probably read or worked on an email while watching it, knowing me. I enjoy the visuals though, there were some great camera shots! its the atmosphere of such period dramas I quite like.

Picnic at Hanging Rock was another very atmospheric period drama  which was on recently. I wasn't sure what to make of the plot of that but it was certainly quite spooky and an ok watch anyway.

(I presume this thread is ok for discussing TV series by the looks of things, even though its titled 'what films have you seen...'?. I'm still trying to figure out how this place works.)

Edited by DawdlingPoet

17 hours ago, DawdlingPoet said:

Picnic at Hanging Rock was another very atmospheric period drama  which was on recently. I wasn't sure what to make of the plot of that but it was certainly quite spooky and an ok watch anyway.

Have you seen the film of Picnic at Hanging Rock. Knocks spots of that overblown TV version both for content and looks.

2 hours ago, Viccie said:

Have you seen the film of Picnic at Hanging Rock. Knocks spots of that overblown TV version both for content and looks.

No I haven't. Does the story make much more sense? it was all a bit confusing.

1 hour ago, Viccie said:

If you're asking was there a neat answer - no. Was it immensely satisfying and intrigueing? Yes.

Ah ok. Thats fair enough. It was definitely intriguing...I do tend to get a bit lost with some shows and films, if the plot isn't especially obvious, I sometimes find myself realising, mid way through, that I'm not entirely sure why the things I'm watching have happened(?!).

1 hour ago, DawdlingPoet said:

Ah ok. Thats fair enough. It was definitely intriguing...I do tend to get a bit lost with some shows and films, if the plot isn't especially obvious, I sometimes find myself realising, mid way through, that I'm not entirely sure why the things I'm watching have happened(?!).

Me too, dp! That's why I like recording things but I often give up and lose interest.

If I'm watching with someone else, I either annoy them ("Is that the same guy as she met in the pub? No? Who is he then? Which boss?") or they have to explain the plot to me later ("Oh, so that was the point of the poker match?")

On 08/09/2018 at 13:57, Viccie said:

The film was was terrific. When a film is that good, I don’t know why they bother with a TV series.

On 07/09/2018 at 20:41, DawdlingPoet said:

I haven't read Vanity Fair as such but I watched it last Sunday (and Monday) as I felt I'd appreciate the escape from modern day for a while. I was surprised to see Martin Clunes in it - I quite like him, well im certainly a fan of Doc Martin anyway. I can't say I paid a great deal of attention to the characterisation - I probably read or worked on an email while watching it, knowing me. I enjoy the visuals though, there were some great camera shots! its the atmosphere of such period dramas I quite like.

(I presume this thread is ok for discussing TV series by the looks of things, even though its titled 'what films have you seen...'?. I'm still trying to figure out how this place works.)

I’ve noticed there isn’t a specific thread for TV watching. Maybe I should create one and see how it turns out.

Edited by Loretta

3 hours ago, Minxminnie said:

Me too, dp! That's why I like recording things but I often give up and lose interest.

If I'm watching with someone else, I either annoy them ("Is that the same guy as she met in the pub? No? Who is he then? Which boss?") or they have to explain the plot to me later ("Oh, so that was the point of the poker match?")

You sound like me then :) I can be easily distracted, even when I don't mean to be. I find it hard not to multitask - to watch TV and not also be browsing the internet, or reading a book, typing an email or something like that.

3 hours ago, DawdlingPoet said:

You sound like me then :) I can be easily distracted, even when I don't mean to be. I find it hard not to multitask - to watch TV and not also be browsing the internet, or reading a book, typing an email or something like that.

Oh yes me too. I can never be accused of being slumped in front of the telly - except maybe on a Friday night.

28 minutes ago, Minxminnie said:

Oh yes me too. I can never be accused of being slumped in front of the telly - except maybe on a Friday night.

Thats quite understandable!. I'm pretty tired by Friday night too lol. I hope your having a good Sunday :)

Phantom Thread -  a film about a uk couture fashion designer starring Daniel Day Lewis. It’s set in the 50’s or thereabouts. Day-Lewis is very watchable but the plot which  started off well, slowly disintegrated by the end. 

Churchill - enjoyable.

The Little Stranger.  It’s a so called ghost story set in the 1940’s based  on a novel by Sarah Waters. Never read her books so I’m unable  to say how close the film is to the original. All you need for a ghost/gothic tale is the usual big house. 

My son was home from college for Thanksgiving and so he and I went to see "Bad Times at the El Royale."  I had one friend who had seen it and liked it, but otherwise knew nothing about it except that it was packed with impressive actors.  I thought it was excellent.  A rip-roaring story, but very thought-provoking about the nature of good and evil.  On our way home, my son and I had a long discussion about who was the most evil character in the film and who was the most moral.  Highly recommend.

A couple of weeks ago I recorded from BBC the man in the white suit (starring Alec Guinness) from the 1950s and I watched it last night as the Irish times made it a movie of the day when it was being shown (starting the review with "thank god for recording devices" as it was at 6:25am to which I thought "hey I have a recording device.")

Really good satire where his character is  a scientist that develops a fabric that doesn't get dirty and can't be destroyed. I enjoyed it a lot.

I watched The Man Who Would Be King on the TV at the weekend. Both funny and horrific.

I had seen bits and pieces of it from previous broadcasts, but this is the first time i have seen the whole thing from start to finish. I now want to read the story - I have Kipling's collected poems, but none of his stories, although I remember reading some of the  Just So stories to my children when they were small. 

Determined to get out more we went to see The Favourite, then Stan and Ollie, and lastly Mary Queen of Scots. The latter was disappointing.

On 19/02/2019 at 14:09, lunababymoonchild said:

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody having bought it from Sky.  It's absolutely superb, can't recommend it highly enough

We have a little art house cinema in our local town which shows films in VO (version original) with French subtitles. Normally they aren't that popular but Bohemian Rhapsody did so well that it was brought back three times and must have been a nice little earner. Since the cinema's a charity which relies on volunteers it's really heartening. I loved the film.